Chapter 1 "Summer"

Summer

"Wake up Summer! Breakfast is ready!" My mom turned the light on  and began shaking my body

"Wake up Summer! Breakfast is ready!" My mom turned the light on and began shaking my body. I attempted to turn over in my twin sized mattress.

"Alright Ma. I'm up." I finally opened my eyes and saw that she had left.

I went to the hall bathroom, it's only one in our apartment, and turned the light on. I sighed at the mess of hair I'll have to tame.

I washed my face and brushed my teeth. You ever wondered why we brush our teeth before eating breakfast instead of after? Like, it almost tastes better eating food without brushing your teeth first. I hate a minty fresh breath when drinking orange juice. Yeah, random I know.

I walked down the hall and sat down at the table. Breakfast wasn't much like usual, but it sticks to me for most of the day. My mom had brown sugar oatmeal and toast for us. I dug in.

"So today I'm working the night shift so I won't be home until after 11." She said. I scraped some jelly onto my bread.

"Alright. I have the day off so I'll be at Auntie Kelly's shop." I said.

My aunt Kelly is my dad's sister and owns a hair salon. She's pretty successful and tries to help us out as much as possible even though she has a family of her own.

So let's pause and talk about my life real quick. My name is Summer Williams and I'm 17 years old. I just graduated from high school and will be entering college in a few short months. My mom's name is Michelle Williams and she's the hardest working person I know. We're both born and raised in South Central L.A. and it's rough as hell out here.

My dad died when I was younger from a drug deal gone wrong. He was walking home from work and got shot by a gang. He was at the right place, but just the wrong time. His job paid for his funeral costs and gave us money but as the years went by, the money didn't last long. We now live in an government assisting complex and I try to help Ma out as much as possible, but it gets tough making ends meet every month.

Ma actually works for dining services at the university I'll be attending. She's been there for years and because I got a full academic scholarship there, everything is covered with my tuition except for books & meal plan costs. So far I've saved over $1,000 but I'm afraid it won't be enough to last the entire school year.

Currently I work at Wendy's and hopefully I'll be able to transfer to another location that's closer to my school. It's not recommended that freshmen get jobs, but in my situation I have no choice. I don't have the luxuries my fellow peers have coming into college.

Anyways, after we finished breakfast my mom said she was going to relax until it was time for work. She went to lay down while I got ready to head to my aunt's salon.

I'm wearing distressed skinny jeans and a basic tee with a jean jacket. I pulled my hair into a messy bun and tried to ration my last bit of Ecostyler gel to swoop my baby hairs. I slid my white Vans on and put my silver earrings in.

I told my mom goodbye and made sure I had my bus pass. My aunt's shop is located at the heart of Los Angeles in a nice area so I gotta take 2 bus trips to see her.

"SUMMER!" My little cousin Titan ran up to me. I picked him up and kissed all over his face. He laughed. I walked further into the salon and saw my aunt finishing up a lady's silk press. Her shop is actually a natural hair salon, but she does cater to those who desire relaxers and weaves too.

"Look Mommy, it's Summer!" Titan said. All the ladies under the hair dryer smiled at Titan. His joy is infectious.

"I see Titan. Hey sweetie come give me a hug." I watched closely as she put the hot comb down & hugged her. It's been a minute since I've seen her because I'm always working.

"Hey Auntie. You got me for the whole day." I told her. Usually she gives me the tips she makes when she knows I'm off at work. I don't make it a habit to visit as often for the simple fact that she does it, but I gotta make sure my mom is straight once I leave for college.

"Okay I got a packed house today so I'll need you on the wash bowl for the first half and after lunch you can answer phones." She said.

I mentally prepared myself for the long day ahead and took off my jacket and placed it in her office. Titan was laying on her couch watching a movie.

"Okay Ms. Sheila you can come back to the bowl now."

*****COMMENT, VOTE!*****