Chapter 16 "New Beginnings"

1 year later

End of 1st semester
Sophomore year

Summer

So your girl decided to join the dance team, and not only did I make it, but the team appointed me co-captain

So your girl decided to join the dance team, and not only did I make it, but the team appointed me co-captain. A lot of my choreography has gone viral several times since making a YouTube channel, and I've made it my side hustle.

Because Auntie Bey & my Mom really pushed me to go towards my passion, I've been booking gigs and teaching others my choreography all around the world. Only during summer & breaks since I'm still in school. School is my number one focus & though my friends keep telling me to quit school & dance full time, I see the bigger picture & getting my degree will take me further.

On my way to dance practice, I got a call from my Chad, my Mom's boyfriend to come home this weekend because he's throwing a dinner for her. There's no telling what he has up his sleeves but it looks like my weekend plans will be visiting family.

I entered the dance studio and began stretching with the rest of my teammates.

~~~~~

Skye

"Are you sure you want to go public about what happened to you?" My Mom asked me

"Are you sure you want to go public about what happened to you?" My Mom asked me. I was on the phone talking to her about my decision. It's been weighing heavily in my heart to go public about being raped on campus.

"Mom this is something that happens all the time across the country and I want to raise awareness on it. I know how people are & if they can put a familiar face with the issue, maybe it'll help people speak out & get help about their assault." I said.

"I'm just worried that you'll be tore apart in the media, and it doesn't help the negative comments you get on social media just for being a celebrity kid. Your mental health is everything to me." She said. I sighed into the phone.

"Mom I'm sure if my favorite actress Gabrielle Union could be bold enough to speak out about her sexual assault, then I could use my platform to do the same. It's been a year since it's happened & with all the counseling I've had, I know I can do this." I replied.