Chapter 4 "The Meet"

Skye
1 week later

My parents and I are headed to campus because it's officially move in day! I'm so excited to meet my roommate and see how her side of the room is decorated.

My dad followed all the signs that led to freshmen check ins and dropped me off to the front.

"Call us when you get your keys so we'll come back around." My mom said.

"Alright." I got out the car and followed all the other kids. I got a few stares but nothing too obvious. I saw the sign that had last names with "C" and approached the table.

"Hello! What's your name?" The woman sitting down asked me.

"Skylar Carter."

"Alright please stand against the wall for your picture." I half-way smiled into the camera as it flashed. A guy handed me my ID card and the woman gave me a packet. Inside were keys to my dorm and mailbox.

There were other lines that had information about food services and parking passes and I needed to get that because my dad is bringing my car after I'm done with my first week of classes. I don't know why I couldn't just drive it today and trail them but whatever.

After the long lines, I called my mom and they were back out front.

"You get everything you needed?" She asked. I handed her the packet so she could look at my ID and stuff.

"Yes. Daddy follow the red signs for my dorm." I said.

"Aww you look so cute. Look Shawn." My mom said. I just shook my head.

"Bey if you don't get that outta my face I'm driving. I'll see it later." I laughed at my daddy. They act like an old married couple, always fussing about something. I mean they are in their 40s and 50s but still...

"Good morning. Please pull your car up to the front and we'll have our volunteers get everything for y'all." An older man said. He looked like he worked for the school.

"You mean we don't have to get out?" My dad asked.

"Yes sir. We have the fraternity and sororities unload everything for you. Parents just gotta sit in the car and then pull off to park." He said.

"Okay thanks." My dad rolled his window back up.

"I'm impressed." My mom said.

"They better have help out here with all this money we're paying." My dad said. I shook my head as we waited for our turn. I got out once the crew came with bins and watched as they carefully placed all my things. I told my parents what floor I'm on so they can park the car and come up.

Most of my things were suitcases so a lot of the guys rolled that, but had my heavier items like containers and TV in the bins. We got on the elevator and I turned my key.

Oooh my roommate's side is really pretty. I called my mom to make sure they knew where I'm at and thanked the people for unloading the cart. My roommate isn't here so I inspected her side. I didn't touch anything but I did look at the pictures she had up. I can't tell which one she is from the pictures though.

I heard a knock on the door and opened it up for my parents.

"Your room small as hell." My dad said. I rolled my eyes. My dad seriously has no chill. My mom smacked his head.

"Shawn she's a freshman. It's supposed to be small." She said. I started moving all my bags towards my side just in case my roommate comes back.

"Alright Shawn fix her TV and computer stuff. I'll help with the bed and food and Skylar work on your clothes." My mom said.