2 / Back Home

Chapter Two: Back Home

Lionel Richie's Hello  rings through my new bedroom as I'm unpacking my films and organizing  them by genre on the walnut eight-cube unit my dad bought me when we  moved back to Creaks Hill.

After two cubes were filled, I heard the front door unlocking and opening.

"Sweetie?" My dad shouted from downstairs.

"In my room," I shout back, now putting my action films on the cube under romance.

After a couple seconds  passed, I hear my father, Emanuel, running up the stairs. When he  reaches the top floor, it suddenly becomes silent, as Emanuel's cologne  fills my scent, I realize he's in my room.

Turning my head, I find him perched against the frame of my bedroom door.

"How's organizing?" Emanuel slowly asks, paying attention to the full boxes against my wall.

Hey at least my bed is here. That's the most important thing.

I shrug my shoulders. "I procrastinated until 5.00pm," I admit, discreetly checking the time to see it's only 9.00pm.

"I'm not surprised," Emanuel chuckles. "I brought Chinese, you want some?" he adds, and I eagerly nod.

We both make our way  downstairs, and when I face the living room, I'm still surprised to see  all the furniture out and in place.

We've only been here a week, and I still haven't unpacked all my boxes. I'm a sad excuse of a teenager.

We make it to the  kitchen, and my nose immediately catches the delicious smell of  dumplings and spring rolls on the honey pine kitchen table.

Just as I'm about to  pull up a seat for myself, my dad's authoritative voice echoes off the  still empty walls. "Wash your hands, Amanda."

I slightly cringe, remembering I haven't washed my hands in a while.

Once Emanuel and I both washed our hands by the kitchen sink, we take a seat from across each other on the table.

"So how's your case going?" I ask him as I'm chewing on a dumpling.

Emanuel is a juvenile defense attorney, which means he chooses to help those who will not be tried as adults.

He sighs, and angrily  shoves a single chili chicken in his mouth. "They want to trial him as  an adult because his birthday in on the 30th of July. He'll be eighteen  soon."

"You have to make his sentence less than seven months, dad. What's he charged with anyway?" I ask.

"Beating up his father to almost the brink of death," he deadpans, and my eyes widen.

"And you defended him before?" I ask, and a dry laugh leaves him.

"This isn't the first time it happened sweetie."

My mouth stays open in shock until my lips decide to get dry.

After we both finished  eating our food, we threw out the trash, and faced our kitchen, which  was filled with several different boxes on the counters.

Emanuel slaps his hands together. "Let's unpack!"

After we both  successfully unpacked the kitchen utensils and put them in the correct  cupboards, Emanuel and I separated ways, going to our bedrooms for the  night.

The next morning, Emanuel went to the office early, and I was left home alone by 10.00am.

After dressing in black sweatpants and a baby blue t-shirt, I rush downstairs and open the fridge to find... nothing.