12 / What's Hidden

Chapter 12: Hidden

On Monday, there thankfully wasn't any school, so I spent all day at home, either over thinking life or watching some old movies while failing at baking something.

When Tuesday rolled around, I was woken up by my friendly alarm blasting sirens out the speakers from my phone.

Grudgingly, I twisted my body around from the inside of my blanket before landing on my stomach by the ledge of the bed.

After stretching my arm out painfully, I stopped the alarm, and checked the time quickly to see if I had enough time to fall asleep for another five minutes.

Nope.

Falling back, I looked up to the ceiling before getting out of bed slowly, rubbing my sore neck from the sleep I just experienced.

Once I left my bathroom feeling clean and fresh, I dressed into dark black leggings and a maroon sweater, feeling that I needed to wear dash of color.

Even if that color was still dark.

When I reached the bottom floor, I couldn't find my dad anywhere on the first floor, and I bit my lower lip.

Should I go check out his closet to see if I can find anything?

Before my thoughts could process pros and cons, my phone rang from my phone, and I checked it to see it was a notification from Erin.

Erin: I'm here, loser. Come out in T-minus 30 seconds before I leave you.

Sighing, I glanced at the kitchen quickly before grabbing a water bottle from the cupboard.

Once I put it in my bag, I felt my stomach grumble inside of me before I pouted.

I can't feed you right now, I'm sorry.

Right when I got outside Erin turned on her engine, and I rolled my eyes at her eagerness before locking my front door.

"You're slow," she stated once I sat on the passenger seat.

My eyes rolled back as I buckled my seat belt. "You gave me thirty seconds, Erin."

"You're still slow," she sang.

"Just drive," I whined.

Thankfully, she didn't poke me any further as she drove down the end of the street before turning the corner.

When we got to school, we exited her car as the cold wind enveloped us, and I cursed the fact that it was February.

Our winters weren't in the negatives, but just under ten degrees celsius.

We both jogged to the front entrance of the school, which we had about ten feet between us until Claire's blonde hair breezed passed us.

I thought that she would continue walking, however, she chose to stop in front of us, her brown eyes meeting mine.

"Hey," she began slowly. "Can we talk?" She asked, addressing me.

Erin narrowed her eyes, still angry about what happened a few days ago, but before she could say anything, I took a step closer.

"Sure," I nodded slowly.

Claire glanced at Erin nervously — probably noticing the hard glare she was wearing — before looking back to me. "Alone?"

I sighed and sent Erin a look, which she returned with narrowed eyes. "You want to be alone with this psychopath? Seriously?"

"Please?" I winced, and she sighed before turning to the direction of the school.