9 / Family Dinner

Chapter 9: Family Dinner

"Happy birthday!" I shouted with a grin spread out on my lips before tackling Tyler in my bedroom.

Of course, it was as though he felt no pain when he landed straight on his back on my floor with me straddling his waist above him.

His laughed echoed loudly in my quiet room, and I leaned down to hug him. "You're officially 18," I smiled when I pulled away from him.

Tyler began drawing shapes on my bare thighs as he looked up at me with a smile — it was as though he wasn't aware of what he was doing.

"Hey, you're following my lead soon," he reminded me, and I rolled my eyes, looking at my closed bedroom door to make sure my dad didn't come barging in.

This position would be hard to explain to a man who would be calling the police.

"The 27th right?" He asked after some time passed, and my eyes slowly moved to his, however, I could tell he wasn't asking. He was stating that he still remembered after all this time.

I smiled. "Yeah, that's it," I whispered.

Tyler and I stared at each other silently, and my heart started skipping as though it was about to receive a prize.

My lips parted, wanting to speak but no sound came out.

He glanced at my lips quickly that I was sure it was a delusion, but by seeing how his chest began to rise, I knew I didn't.

Our moment — or whatever it was — was cut off short when Tyler's phone began to ring from my nightstand.

No words passed between us as I quickly got off of Tyler, who then stood up before reaching for his cell phone.

He sighed when he read the caller ID before answering. "Hey mom."

Tyler smiled at his mothers words. "Thanks."

His smile was removed off his face from what his mother said next. "Okay, I'll see you soon," he grumbled before shutting off his phone.

"What?" I asked, taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

Tyler followed my lead and sat next to me. "Mom wants me home," he chuckles before continuing. "Well, I can't be surprised. It's midnight."

I nodded and stood up from the bed with Tyler following behind me.

Thankfully, my dad was asleep by the time we went downstairs so I didn't have to worry about getting yelled at.

"Goodnight," I smiled as I opened the front door for Tyler.

"Goodnight baby," he smiled softly before enveloping me in a hug.

His fresh scent of clovers made me smile into the crook of his neck before moving away.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I whispered with a ghost of a smile on my lips.

He nodded once before glancing at my lips one last time before leaving.

I closed the door behind him once he was seated in his car, leaning against it as a shaky breath left me.
0
What the hell is going on with me?

I'm woken up Friday morning by my alarm, and I grudgingly moved my body to the ledge of the bed to shut it off.

After brushing my teeth and handling my unruly hair, I dressed myself in leggings and a baggy grey sweatshirt before heading downstairs, where I saw my father eating scrambled eggs on the bar stool.