11 / Mission Eggplant

Chapter 11: Mission Eggplant

On Monday, I'm woken up by my alarm, which happened to be my least favorite sound.

Groaning, I turning onto my stomach before stretching my arm out to turn off my alarm.

When I was lying on my back again, my eyes slowly fluttered open, trying to adjust to the brightness escaping from behind my curtains.

"Amanda, are you up?" Dad shouted from downstairs, and I mumbled a yes.

That, of course, wasn't enough for him. Seconds later, loud footsteps rumbled the walls before my bedroom door was thrown open.

"I'm up dad, I'm up," I yawned just before looking at him, noticing he had a large glass of water in his hold.

My brows furrowed at his frozen posture before my eyes began to widen. "Were you gonna spill water on me?"

Dad chuckled nervously. "I'll see you downstairs," he said before turning around and leaving my bedroom with the door wide open.

Grumbling a string of curse words, I stood up grudgingly from my bed and closed my bedroom door before getting ready.

In fifteen minutes, my teeth were brushed, hair was in a high ponytail, and I was dressed in salt and pepper sweatpants and a long sleeve white shirt.

Once I've grabbed my phone from on top of my comforter, I left my bedroom just before walking down the stairs slowly.

Just before my feet landed on the first floor, I noticed my dad rummaging through piles of sheets while swearing under his breath.

What the hell is going on with him?

I began to slow my steps as I was nearing behind him.

All I was able to read from the papers was a last name. Beckett.

Why does that last name sound so familiar?

Just before I could look for any more clues, dad turned around with his eyes wide open.

"Hey hon," he said quickly just before shoving all of his papers into a large file folder.

After mumbling a hello, I went to the stove and saw two sunny side up eggs on a white plate, ready to be eaten.

"It's for you," dad explained, and I thanked him before sitting on the bar stool, trying to casually look over my shoulder from time to time to see what he was doing.

Instead of going through his papers, he decided to sit in front of it.

Twenty or so minutes had passed until my phone rang with a notification. Briefly looking to my phone, I noticed it was from Erin, who said she was parked out front of my house.

"Erin's here. I'll see you after school dad," I said, and he looked up from his folder to send me a smile.

Once he's said goodbye, I grabbed my school bag before slipping into my running shoes.

I stepped foot out of my house just as I saw Erin's car parked in my driveway.

A smile took place on my lips as I jogged down the stairs in front of me before standing in front of the passenger door.

"Hey," I greeted, stepping inside her car.

"Sup," Erin replied, waiting for me to buckle my seat belt before reversing out of the driveway.

"Not much, you?" I asked before a small yawn left me.

Erin noticed my state of mind before looking back to the road ahead of her. "Shitty sleep?"