one

noah

i sat bored in the middle language arts. ms. dyer went on and on about how to find the theme in a text.

until she suddenly closed the slideshow and opened a colorful poster on her laptop. i gasped.

"here at brooke high school, we're doing a school wide writing contest!" my mouth dropped. i'd been writing a lot lately, and i'd love to share my stories.

being 15, i've been wanting to be an author since age 10.

"this is required, i'll pass out the guideline sheet." she passed the sheet to me and i glanced over it.

i saw this kid, finn, across the room. he was really popular, but he seemed interested in the paper too.

i didn't know much about him, but with me being gay, and him being most likely straight, i decided to keep him off of my mind.

he glanced at me. he must've caught me staring. he smiled and looked away. my eyes widened. woah.

on the guidelines sheet i read a part at the bottom.

must be from your imagination, not inspired by pop culture.

well, of course, that'd be plagiarism. suddenly, my brain sparked an idea.

a fairytale. about my love life and stuff. it'd be pretty cool and diverse, because i'd have like a gay prince and stuff.

but i didn't like anyone currently. and most guys i end up liking, are usually straight.

however, my best friend millie is bisexual so i guess nothing much is different for her than it is for me.

after a while of staring at the guidelines sheet, the bell rang. finn bumped his shoulder into mine while he exited.

he yelled over the piling people. "sorry for bumping you, noah!"

i nodded. i was genuinely surprised that he knew my name. everyone knew me as 'that one gay kid.'

they'd probably stop teasing me if i won the writing contest though.

i should really try and win that.