seven

noah

i sat next to finn in the kitchen. i pulled out the notebook i kept in my backpack. it was where i'd write my fairytale.

"once upon a time..." i thought aloud. finn rested his head on my shoulder, peering down at my 4 word story.

"making progress, aren't you, schnipper?" he messed up my hair playfully.

"i hope you're being sarcastic, finn, because my story is going nowhere." my mom tapped finn's shoulder, causing him to spring up.

my mom whispered words to finn, which i could hear, because she's super loud. "okay, finn, do your parents know that you're gay?" she spoke loudly on the word 'gay.'

"no.. i just told them i was coming here to study and work on my story." he trailed off, and i could see him fiddle with his fingers behind his back.

"your secret is safe with me." she patted his back and sent him back to where he was sitting next to me. i looked into his face. guilt, sadness, all emotions.

a tiny tear trickled down his face. "i wish i could tell them," he wiped his tear. more came flowing though, when he brought up another part. "i wish my dad wasn't homophobic."

i shed a tear. i couldn't help seeing finn like this. "finn, it's o-okay." he leaned into my shoulder and i pulled his head closer to me.

my mom, she knew she wasn't really wanted right now, but came and joined our tight embrace.

"you're kind of like my son in-law already, finn." she hugged him and i smiled. i knew finn could always come to my house for a safe place.

"noah, i think i'm gonna tell my dad," he broke the sentence for a second. "that i'm gay."