eight

finn

i waved goodbye to noah and his mom, and began to hop on my bike. i stuck two earbuds in my ears.

i put my music on shuffle, since the bike ride from noah's house to mine was 15 minutes. the first song to come on was 'the kids aren't alright' by fall out boy. pretty accurate.

when i drew closer to my house, i could see my dad, happily smiling. his smile would soon curve downwards though...

"hey dad," he smiled at me, patting my dad. this is so hard.

"yeah, finn? what's the happenings today?" i shivered, chattering my teeth. it wasn't even cold outside though. it was 70 degrees.

"can i talk to you and mom?" he nodded, leading me into the kitchen to set me bag down. he set out some chips in front of me. our favorite kind.

"this is r-really hard to say. and i'm sorry for any outcome. i really will be." my dad looked puzzled. i knew my mom wasn't homophobic, so i'd like to see what happened.

"i-" i was about to cry. "i'm gay." my dad's wide smile turned to a frown, and he was about to rip something apart.

"i don't want a homo in my house, get out!" he pointed towards the door. my mom gasped, smacking his mid-air hand down.

"oh my god! why don't you just let our son be? you only hate gay people because you were one, todd! stop!" my mom screamed. i'd never seen her so angry.

(yes i know his name is eric but this is a FICTION story for a reason 👁👄👁)

"wait, dad, you were gay?" i furrowed my brow. and why was i never informed? he sighed, sitting down in the seat he had claimed to himself.

"in high school, i had a boyfriend," i was shocked, but i could see it. "and i got teased. i've just never wanted you to go through what i did, finn." he looked at his feet, awkwardly.

"dad, i don't care what people think! i'm dating a boy, his name is noah schnapp. i'm okay with what anyone says." he almost fell off of his chair. shock? did i say something?

"schnapp? i dated his dad, finn. and he has a son. in your grade. who is gay."

i almost fell to the ground. "guess we both have good taste in guys, huh dad?"