The Forest

It had been about a year since I was placed in that Orphanage, everything had been quite calm and the doctors hadn't visited me once. I enjoyed the peace and quiet and normally spent my time out the back. A few rabbits and small rodents would always gather around me while I hummed small tunes to myself. I wasn't much of a speaker, although I found it rude to not answer someone's question. I was often scolded for not speaking as much as the others but honestly it didn't stop me from being myself.

It was a regular day at the Orphanage, I was told to fetch some firewood for the chimney as it was nearing Winter. I immediately set out to find firewood and completely forgot about not going near the forest, I wandered straight in and started searching.

After about an hour of finding good dry sticks and bits of tinder I decided to head back, completely unaware of the danger at the Orphanage. I was distracted by the chirps of birds, I was whistling little tunes to them and they would always answer back. Rabbits were bounded around my feet and I caught the glimpse of a few deer.

It was starting to turn dark and had an uneasy feeling that something was watching me, the Rabbits had suddenly disappeared and the sounds of the birds chirps mysteriously vanished. I was shaking slightly due to the fact that I didn't have enough clothing, I was only wearing a t-shirt and baggy pants. I was currently using my orange cardigan to carry the bits and pieces of firewood that I had collected.

For some odd reason I could see perfectly well in the dark, but I knew for a fact that the kids back at the Orphanage couldn't see in the dark at all. I stopped for a few seconds as my legs were getting tired, I looked around and the cardigan with firewood gathered in it dropped to the ground with a soft clatter.

I wasn't anywhere near the Orphanage and I wasn't alone either...