Chapter 1

Arabella's POV

(Nearly a year later)

Never-ending traffic, frenzied streets and the annoyingly and wretchedly loud noises of New York are the reasons I seek comfort in quiet places, like my condo. Thankfully, when choosing the place, I was lucky enough to find this beautiful, spacious condo in a relatively quiet neighborhood, a 20-minute drive from the centre.  

Now, fully dressed with tea in my hands, I stare adoringly out of my window looking at the same sight that astonishes me every morning. No matter how hectic New York may be, it never fails to amaze me and this particular window gives me the best possible view of the city. Releasing a content sigh, I feel more relaxed already.

Grabbing my coat, I have one last look in the full-length mirror before heading out. Putting my coat on, I lock the apartment door and head over to my car. As soon as I start driving, I let the music from the radio consume my senses and soon enough I'm in front of the all too familiar building with black matte letters on top "Cutter Hotel Corporation".
Anticipation finds its way back to me as I shift uncomfortably in my car seat, questioning my next move. I take a few deep breaths while regaining my composure and I finally get out of the car, straightening my posture while doing so. My confidence is coming back to me with every step I make towards the entrance and as soon as I reach the doors, Mr Dabney opens up for me and greets me cheerfully, as always.

"Good morning Miss Cutter." He says with a small smile.

"Good morning to you too Mr Dabney, how have you been?" I ask sweetly. I have grown fond of the old man.

"Very well thank you. How about you?"

"I've been well, thank you." And with a curt nod I head towards the elevator.

As I press the button for the twelfth floor, signs of stress and discomfort start leaving my body completely. I'm ready for this.

The little dinging sound of the elevator indicates that it has reached its destination and with no further hesitation I start heading towards the conference room while greeting the secreatry, Suzana on the way.

Slowly, pushing open the see-through glass doors of the conference room, I step in and all the council members, including my father, turn their attention towards me. I give everyone a small greeting and proceed to go to my father to whom I give a kiss on the cheek. In return he gives me a reassuring squeeze on my hand, alongside a smile. As I take a seat next to him, he stands up and clears his throat, in an attempt to catch everyone's attention.

"Dear colleagues and dear friends, welcome. First of all, thank you all for being here today, in this very special day. Words are not enough to describe the gratitude I feel towards all of you, since you have worked tirelessly throughout all these years to help expand this company and to help fulfill my dreams of building a powerful empire. I'm also grateful for the patience you have shown towards my..." He stops and searches for the right words with a smile "less happy moods, let's say." He adds with a chuckle, which is followed by light laughter from his audience, including mine.

"It has truly been an honor working with all of you and time indeed flies fast. After many years of hard work, I feel it is time for me to step down. No matter how much this saddens me since all of you have become my second family and since this company has become a part of my life, I rest assure, knowing that it will be in good hands." He says, looking me straight in the eyes, a teasing smile on his lips.