Chapter 7

Arabella's POV

"What do you mean she can't find it?" I sigh defeated, pressing the bridge of my nose while pacing up and down my bedroom.

Not happy with the answer I get, I press the phone closer to my ear, my frustration getting the best of me. "Where's Suzana anyway? She should be the one telling me all this."

"I don't care if she's sick. The USB can't just vanish into thin air. I expect her to find it and fix this mess!"

Cameron in the meantime, who's currently sitting on my bed cross-legged and eyeing me agitated, makes weird signs with his hands, trying to grab my attention. As soon as he has my full attention, he takes deep breaths, silently pleading with me to mirror his actions and calm down.

"I'll come by the company later and by the time I get there, you better have this figured out." I hiss at the phone.

And with that I end the call.

"Whoa there godzilla. Wasn't that a bit harsh?" Cameron argues accusingly.

"They haven't seen harsh yet. That USB contains really important information." I say irritated.

"Don't you have a back up or something?"

"Of course I do! But the USB can't just disappear. I can't mess this up Cam." I release the breath I was holding, slouching on the bed, my shoulders sinking from anger and disappointment.

"Besides, it was locked in a drawer and only me and Suzana had a key." I continue.

"Hey hey, you aren't messing up. It's not your fault that the stupid USB got lost. And even if it was, we would still find a way to figure this out." Cameron says, while bringing me closer to his body, engulfing me in a big hug.

"It is my fault. I should have kept a closer look at it."

"Let's give Suzana some more time, okay? In the meantime, you should simply breathe and think rationally. Does anyone else know about the USB?"

"No. It's just me, Suzana, the girl on the phone and dad."

"I'm sure this is just a big misunderstanding then."

"I really hope so."

- - -

Looking down the elegant, spiral staircase which is bejeweled in sparkling lights, what beholds my vision is striking. The designers have truly outdone themselves.

The enormous room reflects the image of gleaming, white snow, the shiny, white marble floor and glassy snowflakes that hung from the ceiling creating a magical and lavish environment. In the middle of the room, a huge Christmas tree occupies the space, which is embellished with red and golden decorations, its luminous, white lights being impossible to miss.

Around the room there are countless tables with white tablecloths, red napkins and tall candles, with tiny, golden stars scattered symmetrically onto each table and blossoming red roses arranged in small circular bouquets in the centre of each table. The buffet, looks just as glamorous, with a variety of traditional Italian food and most of the guests have already arrived.

"It's time sweety." Dad's voice breaks my thoughts. "Have I told you how beautiful you look?"

"Only a million times." I laugh, as he takes my hand and starts leading me towards the lower level of the room. As soon as we descend the last step of the staircase, as on cue, all eyes turn towards us, the flashes of cameras momentarily blinding us.