Chapter 10

Arabella's POV

"I was thinking we could put this one here, instead of here." The architect says, a slender, manicured finger moving gracefully around the architectural drawing. "We'll be saving space and...."

The rest of her words are faded as my mind drifts to the memory of the previous night.

After closing my door I needed a good five minutes to calm my pounding heart. Adrenaline was coursing through me, every muscle in my body craving relaxation but I felt too tense, too scared at the thought of nearly getting caught spying on them. Bringing his girlfriend here was completely unprofessional and uncalled for. I haven't seen her anywhere today. Was he hiding her? What was he thinking?

"Miss Cutter?"

This was supposed to be...

"Arabella!"

"Uh yeah, sorry, what were you saying again?" I ask completely bewildered.

"I was asking your opinion on the new plan." Gigi clarifies, as both she and Dominic look at me expectantly.

I had been so consumed in my thoughts I completely dozed off.

"Umm it looks great." I answer, trying to keep the uncertainty out of my voice.

"I'm glad you both like it then!"

Gigi swiftly picks up the drawing and rolls it into a neat cylinder. "Ill work through the changes and send you the final plan. It was great doing business with you, we'll keep in touch." She says, giving us both a firm hand-shake.

"You too, Gigi. Thanks for everything." I reply, to which she gives me a nod alongside a smile.

As soon as she leaves, Dominic seizes the opportunity to comment. "Somebody's head is in the clouds."

"Yeah sorry, it won't happen again." I look down at my phone uninterestingly. "I'm going up to my room now, I'll see you tomorrow." I say plainly.

"Aren't we having dinner tonight?" Dominic asks confused, referring to the plans we had made yesterday.

"I'm not really hungry." I declare as I head towards the elevator. "See you."

I leave a very confused Dominic behind and enter the elevator. As soon as I do, I receive a text from Alec who's asking about our next date. The timing couldn't have been better, as this is a great opportunity to focus my energy on someone who appreciates me and is actually interested in me. Entering my room and getting ready for bed, I keep scolding myself for being upset over Dominic and his love life, since it really is none of my business. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm planning on erasing all thoughts of him.

- - -

A few days later we have the final plan in our hands and the renovations seem to be running smoothly. Contact with Dominic was kept to a minimum, as this was after all, strictly business. I'm pretty sure he's noticed the change in my behavior since the confusion hasn't left his eyes, but I pretend to be oblivious to his questioning stares. Tomorrow we're leaving first thing in the morning and I couldn't be happier to be going back home.

There's a soft knock on the door. "Miss Cutter?" A hesitant voice calls.

"Come in."

A young, blonde man appears at the door. "We have a surprise for you." He announces, catching both mine and Dominic's attention.

"For me? What is it?" I ask bemused.

"We've prepared a goodbye dinner by the sea for you and your boyfriend, since we know how much you enjoy the outdoors."