Chapter 22: Founder's Day

"Honestly, people back then must of had to wake up every morning dreading this." I groaned as Aunt Jenna pulled the dress tighter.

"Just remember, it's for a good cause." She replied tightening it one more time before letting me stand straight.

"So how do I get in the car?" I asked and she laughed.

"We'll figure it out." She smiled walking out of the room.

"You look beautiful." Elena came in from the bathroom.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"So can we talk?" She asked like it was a really serious matter.

"Does it have to be now?" I asked in response.

"It's about Stefan.. And you." She nodded.

"We don't have to talk about anything. I feel nothing for Stefan, and nothing is ever going to happen between us." I replied, angry that she'd even bring it up. "He doesn't have control over me."

"Even after what went down last night?" She asked.

*Last Night*

"Stefan, don't." Elena yelled at him.

"I'm not letting Damon hurt Roxanne." He replied angrily.

"You have no right, to who I can and can't be with Stefan!" I yelled.

"You heard what he said." Stefan yelled looking at Damon who just entered the room.

"Don't you have anything better to do?" Damon groaned walking past me to get a drink.

"He's just trying to manipulate you into sleeping with him. He doesn't care about you." Stefan growled pushing Damon against the wall.

"Stefan stop!" I yelled angrily breaking the two up with my power. "Stop, worrying about me. I can do what I want, stop getting in the way."

"Just hear me out." Stefan groaned.

"If Roxanne is happy, why can't you be happy for her?!" Elena exclaimed.

"Because Damon is a bad person." Stefan growled.

"Wow Stef, you really hit my heart with that one." Damon said cockily.

"You know, maybe he is a bad person, but that doesn't matter. What matters is what I see in him." I said looking directly at him and he kind of smiled. "So bash on him all you want, but that's not going to change the way I feel about him."

*Present day*

"Like I said, nothing." I replied before walking out of the room.

--------

So today was the big day, Founders Day. The day where everyone celebrates the founding of Mystic Falls, and my family lineage dates back to that era. Whether I was a Bennett when I was born or whoever my fathers family is, I'll always be Roxanne Gilbert and that's never going to change. Honestly, I'd like to know how Elena and I are together if we didn't have the same mothers.. Did my parents know something that they were willing to keep a secret for Elena and I? Or maybe they were just as confused as we are, but somehow we came to them miraculously and they raised us. I wouldn't trade my parents or Elena and even Jeremy for a normal life. I love my family with or without my parents around. We are part of the founding families of Mystic Falls, no matter what our lineage.

This day could go in two directions. One would go smoothly, and the other would go in ways that I'm not ready to process right now. I'd have to face Stefan sooner or later for the parade even though Damon stepped in for him at the pageant and we weren't really on the best terms at the moment. I know I should feel sorry, or something, but I feel absolutely nothing. No direct emotion towards Stefan means the compulsion was actually working for the good of everyone. Elena could be happy with Stefan without me getting in the way, and I could figure things out with Damon without the concern of Stefan. I know Stefan understands that I never want that part of me back, but that doesn't always matter when it comes to Damon. And now that we're some what together Stefan feels something, hatred? Protective? Jealousy? I'm just as confused as everyone else.