spoiled

in which john likes to spoil alex when he works too hard. something cute and nice to make up for the abundance of sad stuff

John never liked to watch Alexander when he worked, he tried his hardest never to see him as he worked. Alex had some habits that made John upset. Alex claimed they were for his benefit yet they always appeared to destroy Alex in some way.

One of his more destructive habits was his tendency to tug on his hair until he had inspiration to write. This was also one of his most common ones, it sent chills down John's spine to watch Alex practically rip all his hair out.

He never liked watching Alex, just some days he would have to, to make sure he didn't hurt himself too much. This had been one of those times.

Alex was in the guest bedroom turned study, his shoulders hunched over his laptop as he typed furiously. John hadn't been watching- only listening. If John had heard the absence of the keys he knew Alexander was most likely tugging at strands of his air.

His eyes were closed, his hands behind his head being used as a pillow. He tried to make as little noise as possible to hear Alexander best. He didn't like being in his presence as he was working hard but it was something that he couldn't turn down. Alex's teacher had assigned a simple paper, two page minimum. Last John had checked, Alex was on his fifth page.

"No!"

The sudden outburst startled John. He sat up quickly, turning and looking over at Alex to see his eyes wide and strands of his hair coiled around his fingers, "Alex, what happened?" John asked softly, standing up and shuffling over to the desk.

Alex's eyes drifted from the computer screen to John, his hands slowly falling to his side. A guilty expression painted across his face as his hands twisted in his lap.

"I'm so stupid." Alex muttered. John stepped forward again, kneeling down next to his chair, "What happened?" He repeated, hesitantly taking Alex's hand in his. Strings of Alex's hair tickled John's fingers and he sighed, "I.. I just- I'm stuck." Alex's voice broke as he looked back to his computer.

John shook his head, wrapping his arms around Alex quickly, "Hey, hey it's okay." He hushed Alex who had started to cry, "We all get stuck sometimes.. I think you should take a break."

Alex scoffed, gripping onto John tightly as he cried, "A break? I-I can't!" He sighed, "This work is important to me, John. Mr. Washington needs to see how good I am." He said, his voice high and thin.

Mr. Washington, how John had despised the man. It wasn't because he was a bad person necessarily. He had acted as a father figure to Alexander for most of his life since Alex's dad had walked out before he was in middle school. When Alex's mom passed, the bond between Mr. Washington and Alexander grew.

After a hard custody battle and long nights of Mr. Washington staying up and reading over papers, Alexander was officially Mr. Washington's son.

None of this was why John had disliked Mr. Washington. He was a kind man with good intentions, but he had loved Alexander like he was his own son. Deprived of the chance of having a son, Mr. Washington had spent an awful large amount of time with Alex. Mr. Washington loved him so much that when he enrolled for classes at King's, Mr. Washington had made a special request to have Alex in his class.

This was fine, it was how John and Alex met. It was just how Alexander would constantly work and do as much as he could as if to make George proud of him. It often stressed Alexander out which, in turn, would make John stressed.

"Mr. Washington knows how good you are, 'Lex. Everyone does, it's impossible not to. What page are you on?" John asked, slowly pulling Alex out of his chair and cradling him in his arms, "Ninth..." Alexander mumbled, causing John to sigh.

"It's not my fault! I have so much that needs to be said!" Alexander wailed, John rubbed small circles on his back, kissing his cheek softly. He sushed Alexander in his lap, "I know, I know." He sighed, "Come on, I'm taking you out somewhere."

Alexander looked up, his eyes red and puffy, "I- I can't go out like this!" John scoffed playfully and held Alexander at arm's length, "Of course! The world would be blinded at your beauty...What was I thinking?" John said as Alexander gave a weak smile, "John, you know what I mean..."

"Of course I know what you mean! Look at you, my princess. Looking all pretty." John hummed, Alexander giggling quietly, "You never fail to make me smile." John cupped Alex's cheeks, kissing him quickly before pulling him into a big hug, "My princess should never be sad. How about I go get us some ice cream from down the street at Benny's? I'll get you whatever flavor you want." He asked softly.

Alexander smiled, looking up at him and sniffling, "Any flavor?" He asked, moving to stand on tiptoes so he could press their foreheads together. John nodded, "Yes, my love, any flavor."

Alexander sighed softly, standing back down and burying his face in John's chest, "Can you get me strawberry ice cream? The one that comes in the cup?" Alexander asked, his voice slightly muffled in John's chest.

"Of course. Is that all you'd like?" John asked, rubbing Alex's back softly. He nodded and John stepped away, "You go get yourself comfortable in bed, okay? I'll be back as quick as possible."

Alex nodded once more and pressed a small kiss to John's cheek before hurrying out of the study to their shared bedroom.

John sighed as he walked over to Alex's laptop, saving the document before shutting it and setting it aside. He quickly left the house, hopping in his car and driving down the street to Benny's. He wanted to go as quick as possible to spend more time with Alex.

He parked and ran out, going up to the window and ordering a strawberry ice cream in a cup for Alex and a vanilla cone for himself.

As he returned to their home, Alex was curled up in their bed, the covers drawn up to his chest. He smiled watching Alex, his eyes shut, "This is the most relaxed I've seen you all week..." He said quietly, walking over to the bed.

Alex's eyes opened slowly as he turned to face John, "Nice to see you, too." He hummed, outstretching his arms to make grabby hands at John. John laughed as he sat next to Alex, "Sit up, princess. Don't want you to spill your ice cream." He said as Alex sat up, grabbing his cup and bringing it to his chest.

Out of the corner of John's eye, he saw Alex pout and he chuckled, "After you finish you can lay down." He grabbed the remote and turned on the television and went to Netflix, "What do you want to watch?"

"Stranger Things?" Alex asked, eating a spoonful of ice cream and smiling, "Of course." John said, navigating through the shows and putting on Stranger Things, "You spoil me." Alex sighed contently.

"Princesses deserve to get spoiled."