last kiss

i'm aware john died before all this just let me live. the ending makes no sense and i'm the one who wrote it so. tw// death, screaming/violence & it's implied john and alex fuck oops

"Please!" Elizabeth cried out, reaching out for Alexander. Lee kept a hand on her arm, keeping her back. She tried to tug her arm free, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"My husband is innocent! He has done no such thing! Nothing of which you have accused him of! He is a man of honor!" Thomas waved the papers in front of her, "Explain this." He said, a smirk evident on his face even in the dimly lit room.

Elizabeth cried out as Charles let go of her arm and the papers were thrusted into her hands. On the front of the stack was a singular piece of paper titled The Reynolds Pamphlet.

Elizabeth's heart sank as she skimmed over the papers, "I refuse to believe this! It is not true!"

"Not true?" Jefferson asked, his voice raised. He took the stack of papers from her hands. He tossed one off the stack, "He has signed it himself!"

"Mr. Jefferson, that is enough!"

All heads turned to the other man in the room. John Laurens cleared his throat, stepping forward, "Miss Schulyler-Hamilton has been through too much in this day!"

Alexander turned and glared back at the man who held him in restraints, James kept his stare ahead. He turned his attention to John who had held a crying Elizabeth in his arms, "Alexander, is this true?" She asked, turning to face Alexander. Lee stepped forward to stop her but Jefferson waived a hand dismissively, "Let him be."

Alexander looked down to the floor, hearing James chuckle quietly behind him. Alexander brought his elbow back against James' stomach, making him burst out into a fit of coughing.

"Alexander, stop." Alexander looked up, a pained expression on John's face, "Laurens.." He sighed. Jefferson had run up to make sure Madison was alright and glared at Alexander.

"Alexander- I'm afraid adultery is illegal." Jefferson smirked and stood up straight, taking a few steps toward Alexander. Elizabeth sobbed loudly, "How could you?" She cried out.

"But more often than not, the woman is the one to be punished." Alexander's face twisted up as he shoved Jefferson back, "Don't you lay a hand on her." He uttered. Jefferson chuckled, turning to face Madison, "Go alert the others to be on look out for a Miss Maria Reynolds. She is to be brought here to me once found." James gave a quick nod, leaving the room.

Alexander lunged at Thomas, "Lee!" Thomas yelped out as Alexander hit him right in the jaw. Behind him, he could hear Elizabeth sobbing and John comforting her.

Two strong hands gripped Alexander and pulled him away. He leaned in close, their noses touching and Lee's teeth were clenched, "I advise you go home unless you want General Washington to hear about this."

John came forward, "Mrs. Schuyler has requested you not to be in her presence tonight, Mr. Hamilton. I offer you my residence." Alexander looked up at his friend and nodded, glancing back at Elizabeth before leaving quickly with John. As soon as they were outside, John scoffed, "What is wrong with you? I asked you not to- begged you to keep it in secret. Now they know about you and Mrs. Reynolds. They will be suspicious of you."

Alexander's head hung low, "John.." He sighed, "I know, she sold me out! What did you want me to do?"

"Stay loyal to your wife! They will now monitor everything you do! All the letters you send, that I send to you."

John opened his door, Alexander walking inside, "Loyal to my wife? John, we're practically courting! How loyal can I be?" He cried, turning to face John. John gripped Alex's cravat and spun him around, pushing him against the front door, "You're so selfish! You're seeing two people! You had to make it three, were we not good enough for you? What will you do if Elizabeth also finds out about us?"