someday

"Alexander do you think we'll ever be able to get married?" John asked. Alexander's hand laid in John's lap, John's fingers absentmindedly drifting over the palm of his hand. Alexander shrugged and looked down, "I doubt it, with all the hatred in the world." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw John frown and he quickly added, "Who knows? We're young now. Maybe when we're old with silver hair... Maybe not in this life. Maybe in our future lives, maybe through our children. Maybe tomorrow."

The last remark made John smile. He shook his head and brought up Alex's knuckles to his lips, pressing a small kiss to his hand before he pulled Alex into a tight embrace, "Let's make a promise, okay?" John asked as Alex nodded, "How about... if we're thirty and it's not legalized, I'll propose to you with a ring and everything and we'll come here to the river. We'll get married here, no one will see but us. Sound like a deal?" John asked. Alex giggled and threw his arms around John's neck, kissing his cheek, "Deal."

~

"John! Where are you taking me? I can't see a damn thing!" Alex hissed as John lead Alex to his car, a blindfold over his eyes, "Shut up, will you? It's a surprise!" John laughed as he helped Alex into his seat.

John smiled as he got into his car and looked down to see Alex fumbling with his ring. Alex had turned thirty a few weeks ago and as promised, John had proposed. It wasn't a fancy ring, but it held as much value as a thousand dollar ring in Alex's eyes. On the inside of Alex's read "Yrs. forever." and the inside of John's read "Yr. dearest." It was something the two often said to each other and it meant everything in the world to Alex.

The fumbling with his ring had become a nervous habit the other had started. He'd twist it around until his finger turned pink and John would have to slap his hand to get him to stop.

John had started driving out to their favorite spot. It was where they had met. John had been there crying one day because boy, does South Carolina have a lot of homophobes and overall dicks that seem to only exist to ruin your day. Alex said he had taken a break from studying after countless begs from his friend Hercules. As he made his way through the heavily wooded area he heard John crying and went to go talk to him. It was a sweet, cliche story- but a beautiful story nonetheless.

That spot held such a significance to the two, but to businessmen it was just a nuisance- the future home of a department store that would make them thousands, if not billions. The two prayed that would never happen, though.

John parked on the side of the road, rushing out to help Alex out of the car and to the pathway that led them to the trees, "Okay, stay here. I need to do a little bit of setting up." John whispered with a quick kiss to Alex's lips.

Alex frowned and mumbled a small, "Setting up?" to himself before leaning back against a railway, "Okay..." He huffed. John grinned and rushed back to his car, grabbing the big tub that sat in the backseat and rushing past Alex to their favorite spot down by the river.

He took out the makeshift archway he had made out of two of his lamps, some streamers, and fake flowers and set it up so Alex would walk through it. Next to the river he tied a few white balloons to the trees. Then he grabbed a small box which contained the rings he had gotten made for Alex.

He slipped it in the pocket of his jeans and rushed back to where Alex was standing, "Okay, don't take off the blindfold." He whispered as he took Alex's arm and led him to the little river.

"John, where are we going? It smells like mud." John had to suppress a laugh, "Shut up, 'Lex! You'll see when we get there."

To say John was nervous was an understatement, he was petrified. He truly was in love with Alexander and promised himself he would go to the ends of the Earth for the other. But the question always remained in John's head, were the feeling mutual?

Alexander was hard to read sometimes. You'd think he's buzzing with excitement when in reality he's so frustrated he's physically shaking. You'd think he's sad as he's staring off into space but he's really just deep in thought, trying to remember what he had for breakfast that morning.

He had Alex stand across from him, his toe bouncing with anticipation in his shoe, "Okay, take off the blindfold." He said quietly, watching Alexander closely.

Slowly his hands drifted up to the blindfold that covered his eyes, everything seemed to go in slow motion. John pursed his lips as Alex's hands pulled off the blindfold that covered his eyes. He shrunk back for a second, wincing at the sudden bright light. John looked at Alex hopefully, his heart in his throat as he watched Alex's eyes widen.

"John..." Alexander breathed out, his eyes wide and bright. John hoped his bright eyes were a good thing, however as he had said before, Alex was a hard person to read.

Alex looked around, his mouth slightly ajar, "John I- This is beautiful." He breathed out. John shook his head and took Alex's hand in ond of his, "Hold on..." He mumbled. His free hand went into his pocket and he pulled out the little black box, his fingers trembling.

Alex gave a small gasp, pushing John's hand away and shaking his head, "Oh my god..." John got scared for a second, his eyes widening slightly with fear. Alex must have noticed this, he shook his head more and kissed John quickly, "You didn't have to.." He said quietly. John took a deep breath.

"Alexander, I'm in love with you. How can you expect me not to? We promised eachother all those years ago in this exact spot. I live up to my promises." John said, his voice shaky.

"I love you so much." Alexander said, his voice high and thin. John opened the box, taking out Alex's ring and slipping it over his finget after he had removed his previous engagement ring, "I love youso much, I always will." He whispered, placing his own ring onhis finger. He pulled Alex close and kissed him softly, the moment sweet.

John pulled away and held Alex's hands, "Someday.." He whispered, "Someday."

i'm going on a writing binge and ignoring all of the people i talk to and responsibilities is that how you spell it i dont know i'm also 40 away from 2k reads on this ♡♡