letters

ake me back to the middle of nowhere, back to the place only you and i share.

Alexander had, quite literally, lived for the letters he would recieve from John Laurens. He tried to make a point after every letter he received to travel to his home across town and visit him if he was in town and not in South Carolina. Alexander was aware that his letters were rather odd. He had confessed his love for John, numerous times in fact, in his letters to John.

Today was no different. He sat in his study, his hand moving quickly as he scribbled across the page. He was working hard when there was a knock at the door. He flinched, his arm moving and spilling a bottle of ink over his paper. He cursed and stood, hurrying to his front door to see who was disturbing him this early in the morning.

He threw open the door to find the post man standing there, "Mr. Hamilton! I have a letter for you from across town." Alexander eyed the man suspiciously as he wondered who in town would write a letter to him. He took it from the post man's hands, examining the label.

Neat writting on the package read Alexander Hamilton in big letters, it could not be mistaken for anyone else's. It was a letter from John. He looked up at the post man, "You say this came from town?" He asked, to which the post man nodded. "Yes sir."

He uttered a quick thank you before closing the door and hurrying back to his study. He unfolded the envelope with care, setting it aside as he looked the letter over.

His heart fluttered in his chest as he read what John had written. He usually prided himself in his ability to write but he had to admit- John also had a talented way with words that not many could match.

He decided not to respond with a letter and instead show up by himself. He changed out of the white shirt he had been wearing, for the ink he had spilled from earlier had stained his sleeve. He put on a new shirt and his coat, pulling it around him tightly as he left his home without a glance back at the door.

The walk to John's home was relatively quick and he knocked on the door with such enthusiasm the glass panes shook. From the other side of the door he heard quick footsteps rush to the door.

John threw it open, a wide smile on his face. "Alexander! Come in!" He grinned and stepped aside to allow Alexander to walk in. Alexander walked in and smiled, his warm home a nice change from the cold weather outside.

"Would you like me to take your coat?" John asked, Alexander turning his head to look back at him. He smiled and nodded, "Yes, please." He said as he removed his coat, handing it off to John who moved it to his rack.

Alexander took in the sights of the home, the neat atmosphere a pleasant change from his messy residence, "Your home really is lovely." He admitted, John walking back over to him, "I adore your house as well."

"You adore chaos?" Alexander asked, a small smirk on his lips. John shook his head, "I find the beauty in chaos."

Those words sent shivers down Alexander's spine. They were so about something so miniscule but Alexander had taken into a larger context. He knew John had always been a wild child with a passion for going against the common word.

"Would you like me to set some tea?" John asked, pulling Alexander from his thoughts. He nodded, "Yes, please." He said with a smile and followed John to the kitchen.

Alexander sat at the table as John set water on the stove to boil. He turned and faced Alexander who was staring up at John with dazed eyes, he really did love the man standing in front of him.

"I am glad you are back from South Carolina." Alexander started with a grin, "It did come as a shock to me, usually you give me notice a few days before you show up." After a few seconds Alexander added, "A pleasant surprise."