Chapter I: Battle of Darksea

3rd era, 979

3rd era, 979

Each troops steel armor rattled as the strengthened wind slammed over the fields and pressed up against their ranks. However, rather than standing over the mighty breath, each man had already begun it retreat, for to the dark wall of forest, an endless ocean wave flickered red and black as it came ever closer to the army of man.

"Retreat! Withdraw to the city!" One officer began to shout with each soldier's passing. "Hurry!" He added.

"Kelnmock! What's the meaning of this!?" A man, heavily dressed in what shined as gold in the sun light, pushed through the chaos to the man.

"Sir! We've lost over half of our troops as it is fighting these monsters! We can't win on a full out assault!" His breath weighed with exhaustion as he continued, "We need the cities walls to hold the advantage!"

The other finally came up to Kelnmock's side, observing the dark abyss gaining ever closer, "Very well... But what of the civilians?"

"The port is full of ships, both from our fleets and merchants! Send them there!" The idea, however, was of yet another man, this one of light chainmail and tall stature.

"Keldo, I thought the scout regiment was slaughtered, thank the maker your alive!" Kelnmock sighed, a firm shake following.

"I was the only survivor, now come! We need to reach Darksea before those, those things do!" The last word uttered faded into the dry grasses, the ranks of men eventually approaching the slight sign of grey in the horizon, an ocean of dull reflecting blue beyond it. And upon the hour, the docks over-flooded with utter chaos, only furthering the anxiety of each troop as their eyes nervously watched the black wave gain ever closer to the grey walls. Kelnmock too could sense the slightest shiver of his palm as he stood beside the watchtower. However, his mind repeated the importance of calmness, only able to hold his fear by a moments peek to the ships far out behind.

"Any news worth noting?" a strongly built man stumbled over, his helm shining with the last of the sun's light, for a grey cloud had begun to surround the sky and engulfed the life above with a mighty thunder.

"We seem to of greatly under estimated their forces... Our numbers stand two to one at least." Kelnmock remained fixed on the enemy.

"That's it?" The man said with shock.

"In total... I think its best we leave the numbers of Darksea to the imagination..." He finally turned, shrugging over at the young face about; though, before the conversation continued a roar of the general overcame the madness of the city.

"Archers ready!!!" The other beside Kelnmock had vanished, him seeing now the soldiers around raising their bows as the blackness of the field breached a small home, it gone like the stroke of the wind.

"All maker spare us..." His last word uttered when the think black arrow dig its way threw the throat of the man beside him, his reaction being the drawing of his blade and a shout to the thundering sky.