A Cheerleader's Secret

Julia Pratts sat upon the hard red bleachers with a book in her lap, her large glasses threatening to fall off her nose. People around her glanced at her in curiosity and bewilderment, wondering why a girl like her would be reading in a loud and noisy gym. She paid them no mind, barely even noticing them really, and continued to read to kill time before the cheerleaders came out for half time to perform. She breathed in deeply and exhaled through her nose heavily, her eyes moving over the pages rhythmically.

"Jules!" Someone called, and Julia snapped her head up from the book. Her best friend waved at her, her hand moving in the air peppily. Jules smiled and closed her book, giving a small wave back. She somehow read through the loud buzzer that sounded the end of the second quarter of the basketball game, and she felt a small pang of disappointment that she wasn't there to see the cheerleaders enter the floor of the court. Now that she was watching them, she put her book to the side to give her full attention. Her best friend turned around on her heel and went to her team, ready to stretch before they perform.

It was almost like an instinct, the way her eyes moved away from her best friends form only to be locked onto another, one that was so familiar that she could basically draw out every detail from memory. A sly smile graced the lips of her girlfriend, who, upon seeing her, sent a wink Julia's way. Julia's white smile grew wider, and she leaned forward and placed her elbows on her knees, clasping her hands together as she wondered how everything had led to her and Camryn becoming an item. Camryn Hart had the heart of the school.

She was the face of the cheerleaders, at least one of them, and Julia could understand why. Camryn seemed to be the "it" girl, with her wavy light brown hair that fell past her shoulder blades and her slim but athletic body. Camryn had a tan that looked almost golden, as if she radiated that from her incredibly cheery and happy personality. She radiated confidence, though it was never to so extreme that she brought people down because of it. Camryn had the type of looks that one would see on posters and billboards in front of major clothing stores. Her straight nose,, full lips, and heart shaped face made people swoon in seconds. Yet, what made people's heart beat erratically were her eyes; they were a dazzling blue, the shades mixing between royal and crystal, and towards the inside was a bright yellow, surrounding her pupil in star-pointed bursts. Once those yellow-blue eyes looked straight into someone's, all thoughts fizzed into nothing. Add the pearly white smile and dimples and that person was a goner.

Julia had wondered in the beginning of their friendship why Camryn had pursued her, and the little adventure and problems they had gone through in the beginning made her wonder even more why Camryn still continued in her chase. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that Camryn had asked Julia to be hers, to which she had easily said yes, but then the thought of her best friend crossed her mind and that stopped all the happiness from expanding. Sarah Bennet, Julia's life long friend, absolutely despises Camryn, and Julia has to admit that their problems in the beginning and even now are because of her and her commitment to their friendship. Julia has put Camryn though a lot: denying her feelings, pushing her away, and even being rude to her. Though all of that came crashing down  as soon as she realized that she couldn't live with this Camryn shaped hole forever. She was miserable, and in one night of ultimate tensions and frustration Julia finally let go, letting herself fill that missing piece that was Camryn.

Camryn understood Julia. She understood why Julia did what she did and why she was keeping their relationship a secret. She knew what it was like to be scared of telling someone you love about a part of them self they may not like, especially when that part involves a person they hate. Some part of Julia knew that it hurt Camryn to stay quiet about themselves, to not be able to hold hands or hug or do any other things that signifies theyre a couple to others. She knew it hurt Camryn when Julia is approached by guys and she cant do anything about it, because doing something means that she will have to say that Julia is her's, and Julia doesn't want anyone knowing in fear that her best friend will find out. She loved Sarah, and that love is what she feared, because if Sarah finds out that Julia has been with her nemesis, then the biggest betrayal will tear them apart. Because its those closest to oneself that hurt the most.