Chapter 3

Yuma awoke the following day, seemingly unaffected by what had transpired the night before. She didn't even seem to hold any recollection of anything that could have occurred.

Life as it was continued easily, with her driving the group of S-Ranked criminals to the very brink of their sanity. That is, until the time came for her mission with the Artistic Duo.

Despite her being a sadistic little shit, as a very hypocritical Hidan would put it, the ash-haired teen gave each and every member of the organisation a hug, let it be willing on their part or not.

"Got your sword?" Kisame asked, and she gave a quick turnaround to display the sleek black katana the aquatic male had gotten her for her fifteenth birthday. The Reaper.

This unique blade was one that had been sealed away for many centuries, for it was too powerful. Anyone strong enough to wield and master it would certainly be a force to be reckoned with. When drawn, the blade gave off a black mist, sucking the chakra from the opponent and the opponent only. The only way for this to work, is for the wielder to create a blood bond with the one-of-a-kind weapon. This is enabled with a detachable metal cap at the end of the hilt- once removed, a needle is visible, and the rest is easily guessed. There is, however, a downside to the lethal, almost perfect blade.

If the blade were to break, and the blood bond be severed, the weilder will die...

Anywho, 'round the room she went, saying her goodbyes.

She saved Itachi for last, and he  embraced her tightly. "Be safe," he murmured, so quiet, none were sure if he had actually spoken aloud.

Why did it sound like a goodbye...?

Yuma giggled, pushing the unsettling thought from her brain, and hugged his neck a bit too tightly before pulling away and skipping over to where Sasori and Deidara stood waiting, the former glad they were leaving early so he would not have to bear with the headache of being late.

"Ready, un?" Deidara grinned, oddly fond of the teen despite his constant complaints of her "playful" nature.

"Uh huh!" She chirped.

"Then get the fuck out, fucking bitch!" Hidan called from the couch, pretending to polish his scythe as he sent painfully clear glances toward the bubbly youth.

"If you want her to be careful, just say so," Kakuzu growled, half annoyed, half amused.

Pale cheeks flushing an appropriate scarlet, the immortal flung himself to his feet. "I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THAT LITTLE SHI-!" he shrieked, cutting himself off as he felt thin arms wind tightly around his chest. His fuschia gaze snapped downward to see a head of charcoal grey hair mere seconds before a pale face tilted up to beam at him.

"Don't worry, Old Man! And don't miss me too much!"

Face flushing further, the albino male screamed in denial. "AS IF I WOULD MISS YOU, BITCH!"

Her only response was a cheeky grin as the sound of metal piercing deep into flesh filled the air.

Giggling, she scampered away from the now raging immortal, revealing the kunai lodged in the grey haired man's toned stomach. The wound bled profusely, and some of it had soaked into Yuma's cloak.

"Let's go," Sasori sighed, not eager to stay and listen to Hidan whine.

"Right, un," Deidara nodded, seizing the giggling teen by the wrist and pulling her out of the base as Kakuzu knocked out her victim, intending to mend the wound without any of the usual squirming. "We haven't even begun the mission and you're already bloody, un," the blonde pyro-maniac teased, bringing yet another grin the girl's lips.

~~~

Only the sound of wind scattering millions of grains of sand could be heard in the dead of night, while three figures slowly made their way through the desert setting. A a low humming joined the wind, a haunting melody by an angelic voice.

"Oi, you're creeping me out, un," Deidara complained, coaxing a rough growl from Sasori, and a light laugh from Yuma.

"Quit your whining, brat," the short and stout puppet rumbled.

Deidara pouted, shooting his partner a somewhat wounded look. "But Danna..."

"Quiet," snapped the cold eyed puppet. "We're getting close. Yuma, you know what to do?"

A chilling grin crept across pale rose petal lips, sending unease into the heart of the blonde man beside her. They watched as she flickered, disappearing in a flash of charcoal grey.

In the silence that ensued, Deidara voiced a thought that had been bugging him since he'd learned of Yuma's participation in this mission.

"Danna... when Zetsu was spying on Yuma, when she belonged to the Leaf, he said she had befriended the kyuubi, un... even if they had fought, what if she..."

Sasori's voice was cold, emotionless, though secretly his heart stretched and pulled at his upcoming words. "If the brat proves to be a liability, she will be terminated."

The breath caught in Deidara's throat, and his sky blue eyes widened. "But... But..."

"No arguments, brat, Leader-sama's orders," rumbled the puppet master gravely.

His lips remained sealed, but his gaze swept to the sandy floor, an air of depression settling over his features.

"Wipe that look off your face," Sasori snapped. "She'll be back any moment."

But Deidara only sighed. "But... she trusts us, yeah..."

"Which will just make the task that much easier. She won't be expecting it."

"Wha- that's not ri-"

"You're an S-Ranked criminal, now act like it!"

The snarl startled the blonde bomber, making him turn his widened eyes to his comrade at the sheer emotion in his voice. Was he... did Sasori dislike the idea, just as much as he did?

With a resigned sigh, Deidara nodded his head, and the two waited in silence for the return of the rust-eyed teen.

"She will wait with me, if you are so concerned..."

A small, relieved smile tugged at the blonde's lips; the later they would have to confront this, the better.

A giggle was the only warning they recieved before a bloodied teen stood before them, flashing a pearly grin and a thumbs up.

"Ready to go!" Yuma chirped, a gruesome sight to behold indeed. Though not a single scratch marred her flesh, she was positively drenched in metallic scented blood. The crimson liquid dripped from her sleeves and hair, and decorated the sand below her.

Deidara grinned at the successful girl. She looked so proud of herself, she was doing so well on her first mission. The only thing blocking his pride for her was his concern.

Even if Itachi had supposedly warped her memories, Deidara didn't trust that damn weasel for a second.

He had a bad feeling settling in his stomach.

Something was going to go horribly wrong.