Chapter 26

The weeks of Yuma's stay in Sunagakure were, although cozy since she's moved into Gaara's home, beginning to grow wearisome. 

She hadn't been able to see her team, nor had she been allowed to contact them. Gaara and Temari were obviously doing their best to make her feel at home, trying to help her through the period of unknowing. She was still waiting to know whether she'd be executed for her crimes against the Sand, or if she'd be allowed home. 

The constant mob of angry villagers outside Gaara's home was not a good sign. 

This also meant that she couldn't leave the house- officially of course. She still disappear into the dead of night, only wanting a bit of fresh air under the glowing moonlight. It reminded her of the first night she was allowed out of the base when she started living with the Akatsuki. She'd originally been trying to sneak out but, of course, they were a bit smarter than she'd given them credit for. 

Well, some of them at least.

Konan had appeared in a flurry of paper that had taken form to show an expression of caution and disapproval. 

"Running away, are we?" she had questioned, crossing her arms. 

Yuma had rolled her eyes. "I just wanted to go outside, what's the crime here?!" she demanded. "I've been stuck in this shitty hole in the ground for weeks! You let Tobi outside, and he's basically a tall infant!" 

She noticed Konan struggle against a grin, the first hint of relaxation she'd seen from the lilac haired woman. It was strange, she was normally so melancholy and gloomy looking. 

"Promise you won't run away? Try anything, and I'll have to kill you," Konan said after a heavy pause, staring the young teen down in an almost threatening manner, but the prospect of being outside had Yuma so excited she was already beaming. 

"Promise!" she grinned, lifting her pinky to the older woman.

After staring at the young girl for a moment, Konan sighed, and stepped aside, turning to press her hand against the solid stone wall. As her chakra leaked into the stone, it began to move. Shifting and pulsing as though it had gained the ability to breathe, the stone separated from the center and moved to the sides, allowing cool air to drift into the cavernous residence. 

Yuma gave a sigh of relief, seeing the moonlight reflect off the dewey grass and, with the blink of an eye, she was gone. 

Konan cursed, thinking the worst, and drew a kunai as she prepared to stop the child's escape. However, as she turned, she didn't see Yuma making a swift escape. 

Instead, the charcoal haired teen was rolling around in the dewey grass, giggling as her clothes became damp from the moisture, and her already unruly head of hair grew even more disheveled. By the time Konan had relaxed, Yuma had ceased rolling, now intent to just lay back and stare at the moon. The cool night air drifted across her cheeks, and the chill would almost be uncomfortable if it weren't so damned welcome. 

After that, Yuma assumed Konan had pulled a few strings, but Yuma was allowed outside at night, only if another member were with her, but it was a change she was more than grateful for. 

Now, in Suna, as she laid in the sand of a patch of the desert, right outside of the village, Yuma recalled that night with teary eyes. The air in Suna was more humid, of course, but the moon looked the same as it did that night. Just as bright, beautiful, and inviting. 

The Akatsuki hadn't visited her since her encounter with Zetsu, she often thought about that. She knew every time they reached out to her, it was dangerous to them. Every warning they offered could be the last thing they ever do. 

They could already be dead, and there'd be nothing she could do for them. For all the protection they were offering her, she was useless to them...

"If any of the guards caught you out here unaccompanied, they'd kill you on the spot."

"They'd certainly try to," Yuma countered with a small grin as Gaara materialized in the sand beside her, sitting up, but also gazing at the moon. 

"Would you kill them, if they did?" He asked. It wasn't an accusatory question, tone wise, but Yuma could feel his sea foam gaze burning into her. 

She shook her head. "I wouldn't. Not unless it were entirely necessary to save my life, but, and no offense here, I'm not really concerned about that being an issue."

Gaara smirked, his gaze lightening as he turned to the moon. "And if it were I?" There was a taste of humor in the inquiry. 

"I'd have a bit more trouble with you," Yuma admitted. "But, considering our last battle, I still think I'd win." She added teasingly, watching his gaze flicker back to her, and dare she say it, he had almost an impish light to his gaze.

"We're older now," he pointed out. "And I have more control over my own abilities. Don't be so sure."

"How about this?" Yuma grinned. "When all of this life or death stuff clears up, how about we spar? See whose improved the most?"

A raspy rumble erupted from Gaara, and Yuma actually jumped at the sound of it. She was staring at him in shock as he offered her the slightest smile, lifting his fist vertically. "That... actually sounds like fun."

She beamed at him, sitting up and touching the side of her fist to the side of his. "It's a deal then."

They both turned back to look at the moon in a comfortable silence. 

It lasted for only a few minutes. 

"I'm glad you're happy, Panda-chan."

".... Me too, Yuma. And that's why I'm making sure we have that sparring match." He stood up, offering her an assisting hand. "The hearing is in two weeks. Count on me, Yuma. I'll get you back home."