Chapter 18

Yuma found herself back in the village, back in Kakashi's room, away from her friends, all too soon. It'd been so long since she'd seen them, any of them, that she wanted their time together be just a little longer. Itachi, however put on his Stern Brother Face, and Kisame explained to her that the longer she was out, the more likely they were to be found out- by the Village or Pein. So, she let them take her back.

Once they'd left, she found herself emptying the backpack she'd received. A number of trinkets and bobbles soon littered the bed before her, including a stuffed rabbit that soon found home in her arms, and a thick, heavy photo album.

She flipped the pages slowly, her eyes drinking in the images illuminated by the pale moonlight. Memories, such happy memories flooding back to her painlessly. Before they'd left, Itachi had kissed her forehead, and a pressure she wasn't even aware of dissipated within her mind. Everything seemed clearer, with only the vaguest ghost of doubt caused by paranoia and instinctual wariness.

She smiled at the pictures of her and her team, her and Shikamaru, Gai, Lee, Asuma, Ibiki, Anko, Kurenai, Gramps... How had she mistaken so many friends for enemies?

She'd spent so long- two and a half years- loathing her family for no reason. Now she was back home, her first, real home, and she was still partially closed off to them. Bad habits die hard, but she was going to have to adjust, and quickly if she wanted to manage to save both of her families with minimum unintended deaths.

Mouth dry, and mind wide awake, Yuma decided to venture to the kitchen for something to drink. It was as she passed the door to her room that she heard the sliding of a window in its pane. Shuffling, a muttered curse, and rustling as things were moved about and around.

She scowled, and reached for the doorknob just as the wooden barrier swung away, revealing a figure cloaked in black, face hidden. The figure paused, momentarily stunned at the sight of her, and it gave her the opportunity to ram her shoulder into their stomach, pushing them back into the room.

The person, who she determine to be male from the masculine grunt they gave at her attack, jerked, and Yuma grit her teeth at the sharp pain that blossomed from her thigh. She felt the warmth of her blood soaking into her clothes, and growled as she hopped away from her attacker. He sliced at her again, numerous times, but she was ready for these, and dodged them all with little effort, slightly slowed by her leg wound.

"Why won't you just die?!" The man yelled, outraged by her resilience. He charged forward with a cry, and Yuma crouched, ready to defend, to kill him and end this encounter, but before he reached her, a silver streak crashed into him.

"Don't you dare touch her," Kakashi growled, both eyes visibly glaring at the man he held against the wall by the throat. Pure rage twisted his mask into a deep snarl, and he looked ready for bed and murder, what with his crisp white t-shirt, old worn sweatpants, and lethal aura.

The intruder gasped as his oxygen was cut off, cursing his own rash nature. He knew Kakashi Hatake was home, yet he still allowed his emotions to overcome him.

"Kashi... wait..." Yuma grunted, holding the wound in her thigh tightly in hopes of slowing the bleeding.

Kakashi glanced at her, his gaze zeroing in on her injury, and his eyes burned with a fresh, broiling hatred as he turned back to the scum at his mercy.

"I'll kill you," he rumbled darkly, and Yuma jolted. This wasn't the Kakashi she remembered. He rarely took a life so rashly. He was always the one to keep her from slaughtering, he was rational, level headed, cool and controlled.

His grip on the man's throat tightened. Sharp, desperate gasps wracked the man's body.

"Kakashi!" Yuma snapped, desperate to pull him from this state. His eyes darted to her, to her serious expression, watched as her face softened, spotted that familiar light in her eyes as she muttered, "please..."

After a moment of deliberation, he sighed heavily, releasing the man and letting him slide to the floor with painful, gasping breaths.

"Answers, now, before I change my mind," Kakashi growled, crouching down and grabbing the scumbag by his hair, tilting his head back to look at him as his other hand tore the cloth mask from his face. "Who sent you? The Akatsuki?"

"No."

The response wasn't his, but Yuma's. She was glaring at the man, who grinned weakly, eyes challenging her.

"How d'you know, girly?" He goaded. "There's plenty more than just the villagers here that want you gone for good."

She ignored him, looking at Kakashi. "They were here earlier, he's not with them."

"WHAT?!" Kakashi hissed, looking around wildly, as though they'd melt through the walls at any moment. Releasing the man on the floor, he was quick to summon Pakkun. "Quick, they may not have gotten far. I need you to-"

"No!" Yuma protested, taking a step forward, only to hiss in pain, her hands flying back to her leg.

"Yu-"

"They came to warn me," she explained through gritted teeth, watching the man on the floor as he began to sit up, reaching for the knife that had fallen to the floor while Kakashi was busy.

The next instant found the blade embedded in the man's head, directly between his eyes as his lifeless body slumped to the floor. Yuma stumbled, falling onto her behind as the effort combined with her leg wound made standing too painful.

"Pein wants me dead," she told Kakashi as he rushed to her aid, hurrying to wrap up her leg as securely as he could. "The others are going to try and protect me, but they told me to lay low, change my look, and stuff like that."

"How are you so sure they weren't lying to you?" Kakashi asked, fighting to keep calm about the matter as he scooped her up and hurried towards the hospital, Pakkun dashing alongside them.

"If they'd wanted to kill me as well, they had the chance while I was asleep," Yuma pointed out. "They also wanted to return some of my stuff. And Kisame said to tell you guys to get me better clothes," she giggled despite the situation, and Kakashi was unsure of whether to smile along or scold her for not yelling for him in the first place.

"We're going to have to at any rate," he sighed softly.

"Itachi even unblocked my memories," she added, hoping the fact would sway him. His gaze flickered down to her, alight with relief, but still he shook his head and looked forward again. Her chest stung as she looked up at him imploringly. "Are you angry with me?"

He sighed yet again. "No... I'm just- I wish you had called for me..."

"I'm sorry," she muttered, resting her head against his chest and listening to the steady beating of his heart. "But I want to say now what I didn't say before. I'm glad to be home..."

Kakashi's heart soared with emotion as he looked down at her, this time unable to keep the warm smile from touching his lips. He gave her a light squeeze as the hospital loomed into view.

"Welcome home."