Chapter 16

The white haired Sannin leapt from rooftop to rooftop, the motionless, slumbering form of Yuma clinging to his back, her head rested against his shoulder, her body wrapped in his vest to ward of the chill of the night air. He was taking her home, it was nightfall and there was no telling whether or not Kakashi had called on the Anbu for help yet.

"Poor kid," he sighed. Yuma was, understandably, very torn. She would have to make a choice, possibly soon, between the village and the Akatsuki. As if her life weren't difficult enough, she now had this on top of it all, not to mention all the villagers that would know of her return by tomorrow. All of the people that hated her irrationally. Who knows how they would respond?

Kakashi's house loomed into view, and Jiraiya could see the spikey haired silhouette pacing in the lit window. As he jumped down to the front door and strode through without knocking, he saw the silver haired man skid around the corner.

"Yu-!" He stopped as he spotted the Sannin, his expression falling ever so slightly. That is, until his gaze fell on the pale, thin arms wrapped around Jiraiya's neck.

"She's asleep," Jiraiya whispered, smiling at the silver haired man as he turned to show him the wrapped up girl clinging to his back. "We had a little heart-to-heart, and it wore the poor thing out."

Kakashi gave a great sigh of relief, moving forward and collecting the slumbering girl into his arms. She gave a sleepy whine when he untangled her fingers and removed her arms from Jiraiya's neck, and the man in question gave a chuckle.

"Thanks for bringing her home," Kakashi smiled wearily. "Where'd you find her?"

Shrugging, Jiraiya smirked at the unconscious girl as she curled into Kakashi's chest, muttering softly. "Storming through the streets. She was pretty pissed off about something..." He hinted with a pointed look, and Kakashi sighed again.

"Guilty," he acknowledged.

"Mhm... Well, I'm heading out, but I'll leave you with a little bit of advice!" The older man's hand fell on the masked nin's shoulder. "Give her time to figure things out. Don't try to tell her what she's feeling is wrong. And don't stress over her leaving again," he said seriously, watching a rather somber look sweep over the younger's face. "Sheltering her will only prove to push her away. I know it's hard, but give her some room to breathe."

"I know, you're right..." Kakashi said, shoulders slumping slightly. "Since when were you an expert on kids?"

With a wolfish grin, Jiraiya gave a wave of dismissal. "Live the life I have, and you pick up a couple of things. At this point, I may as well know everything."

Amusement seeping into his features, Kakashi gave a hum, smirking at the man multiple years his senior. "Uh huh, well then, why don't you have one of your own?" He asked, chuckling when Jiraiya scowled.

"Because I enjoy looking at pretty young women," he answered with half-hearted snideness. "And if I've got one that age, then I may start to feel guilty about it."

Kakashi snorted at the response, and Jiraiya fought off a grin at the man's brightened attitude. The older man gave another wave as he turned his back on the masked nin.

"Bah, even if you do read my books, I wouldn't expect you to understand. After all, you do have a kid," he said, glancing over his shoulder with one hand on the door knob. "And from what I can see, Kakashi, you're a pretty damn good dad."

Unable to keep the grateful smile from wrinkling his mask, Kakashi grinned at his mentor. "Thanks again, Jiraiya."

Nodding, Jiraiya opened the door and took a step out. "I'll be around for a bit, if you're in need of any more advice, of the child or woman variety," he teased. "Because you know chicks dig a single dad, Kakashi."

The door shut with a soft click, leaving Kakashi shaking his head and smiling softly. Talking to Jiraiya, no matter how briefly, certainly did cheer him up.

He looked down to his slumbering cousin, who- Jiraiya was correct- may as well be his daughter. He certainly loved her, loved caring for her, and he was glad to have her safe and back home.

Her eyes closed peacefully, face smooth and free of the stress and confusion she's been dealing with as of late, she looked just like a normal girl.

A normal girl harboring a demon, wanted by an S-class criminal organization, with murderous instincts and off-kelter memories...

Kakashi gave a tired huff of a laugh, shaking his head as he climbed the stairs to his room. Yuma's room was still dusty, and unfit for her to stay in, so he tucked her into his bed, grabbing a pillow before he went back downstairs and took refuge on the couch.

As the minutes ticked by, Kakashi found himself staring at the ceiling, dreading the next day as it drew closer. Tomorrow, Anbu would travel over the village, informing them that Yuma was back. It was their right to know that the host of a demon lurked in their wake, he knew that, but he also knew that they would overreact, and make things even harder on Yuma as she struggled to adjust to living here...

"Damn," he sighed, his voice drifting into the quiet night air. He closed his eyes, welcoming the darkness of sleep as it crept over him. "Kami, just... give her a break..."

And then he was out.