Chapter 9

“Tsuruga-san?” Kyoko asked quietly as she watched him getting on his shoes near the suit door.

“Yes Kyoko?” Ren asked looking back up at her, Kyoko almost shivered everytime he called her by her name, but saying that everyone else called her by it, so why shouldn’t he?

“Do you think...well... could we?” Kyoko just couldn’t get the words out. She knew what she wanted to say, but the way Ren was looking at her in that moment below her made her heart quiver with an excitement she had never felt before.

“Could we what, Kyoko?” Ren had decided as Kyoko was not telling him not to use her first name he was just going to continue to do so. And so far it didn’t seem she was going to say anything against it.  

“Well,  it's Moko-san... I just,” Kyoko sighed sadly as she looked anywhere but at the man making her heart miss a few too many beats. “I hate lying to her.” Kyoko whispered.

Kuon’s heart clenched he knew exactly how she felt. Standing slowly Ren pulled Kyoko back into his embrace. Ren wondered if she was slowly getting used to his touch or if maybe after everything that had been happening the last week she had just given up? But whatever it was

“Kyoko, we need to speak to the president before we make anymore moves. I know you care about Kotonami-san, but we are already in enough trouble.” He knew how his words would hurt her, but he also knew how she would know how right they were. The lesser of two evils so to speak.

“I know, but still I feel so bad.” Kyoko couldn’t help it, stepping closer into Ren’s hold she rested her head gently against his chest, breathing in deep. His smell almost like a calming solution to her troubled mind.

“You know I don't think even Setsu would be above apologising. She is after all very clever and if her brother was to tell her to go and say sorry for her behaviour... Don’t you think she would acquiesce to his request?” Ren couldn’t help but smile at the way she had stepped closer. He just hoped he kept the happiness out of his voice as he looked down at Kyoko.

“You need to apologise Setsu.” Cain spoke softly, but firmly as the woman in his arms stepped backwards.

“Yes Nii-san.” And with that Setsu was out of the door and slinking down the hallway like a panther on the hunt. Cain watched her go with a slight smile on his lips.

“Go make yourself feel better Kyoko, but come back to me.” he said in a whisper for himself alone as he too shut the suite door behind him and headed for the elevator to his parents suite.  

Kanae looked up from the laptop. Chiori had gone to take  a quick shower so she had no other choice but to answer the door when she heard the knock.  Running her hand through her long raven hair she sighed to herself. Sometimes having a good memory was not as good as people would believe. Her head was full of names, faces and facts of the people they would be ‘investigating’ as the president had put it.

“Yes?” Kanae asked pulling the door open and looking right into the eyes of the girl that had been in her thoughts most of the morning. It was almost like a standoff as the two women looked each other over.