Chapter 9

"You?"

"Yes, it's me."

Yuurei frowned, thinking what a bad night it was to meet someone she didn't want to see the most right at the moment. Quickly wiping off her tears with her sleeves, she turned her back from him while clearing her throat.

"W-what are you doing here?" her voice voice cracked due to crying just now and she felt embarrassed. Not that she had appeared as weak in front of Hamada, now this guy too, saw her weak side.

"Why are you crying here alone in the streets, Yuurei?" he inquired, voice devoid of any emotions.

"What does that have to do with you, Akashi?" she asked back, with ferocity.

Yes, standing in front of her was none other than Akashi Seijuurou – the man who demand absoluteness from anyone and won't a no for it. He looked at her with his pair of heterochromatic eyes and somehow, Yuurei felt as if her emotions were lay bare for him to see – a very unsettling moment it was.

"Do not answer my question with another question, Yuurei," he paused, his steely gaze on her her stained cheeks and puffy eyes, "Why are you out here, crying alone in the streets at night?"

Did he care?

Why was he out here alone too?

Yuurei found herself unable to meet the intensity of his gaze – decided to look down instead. So many thoughts running wild in her head and she was slowly feeling the throbs of pain on her temples.

Looking at the stunned girl in front of him – looking so defeated and morose – Akashi clicked his tongue and stepped forward. Leaning towards her, he asked, in hush tone – clearly different from his attempts earlier, "For the last time, Yuurei. Answer me, why are you here," he paused, his hand reaching out to lift up her chin slightly, "Alone and crying, in the streets at night?"

Teary, brown eyes met with red and yellow orbs.

Yuurei felt her wall of defence come tumbling down as the tears she kept on fighting stained her cheeks once again. She bit her lips to hold back the noises when she cried – so hard until it hurt – and slowly, she felt herself was engulfed into a tight embrace.

Unable to stop herself any longer, Yuurei buried her face to his chest as she clenched on the hem of his jacket as hard as she could. A hand was wrapped around her waist while the other moved to pat her back gently and almost endearingly.

It was such an irony that Akashi – someone that just barged into her life – was comforting her with such tenderness that she never knew existed within him. Perhaps, Akashi Seijuurou wasn't a monster like others liked to think. He was a human with feelings – and that was the reason he was here with her, consoling her fondly.

As Akashi embraced her, Yuurei started to grow tired and weary. She was exhausted – mentally, physically and emotionally – and there was something warm about the feeling of Akashi's arms around her that started to make her feel drowsy.

Thus, she closed her eyes and muttered softly, but loud enough to be heard by Akashi, "...'m tired... and sleepy..."

The arms around her tighten once more and she could vaguely hear the soft chuckle and the sensation of warm lips on her forehead before she completely dozed off.

"Young master, what are you going to do with her?" a deep voice greeted as Akashi caught the frail body of the sleeping girl.

"I'm going to take her home." His replied was quick and determined, as he begun to carry the girl bridal style.