Chapter Two

The trailer is above in the media section

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I never got butterflies in my stomach before, figuratively speaking, of course because I've always made plans and itineraries. And because of that there wasn't really any reason for me to be nervous, there wasn't any time for it, and I knew exactly what I wanted to happen at every moment.

But as the truck passes the intimidating steel gates to the campus, I feel my plans drip away until there's nothing but vapor. For the last three and a half hours, I've been rereading the itinerary for today. I could read off the list with my eyes closed and list the bullet points from the bottom up with no doubt. But I guess it wasn't enough, because I'm actually here and I'm frozen. I curse myself for not penciling in a possible gut-wrenching anxiety.

Outside the tinted window are abundances of trees. I roll down the window and look around. The campus is embedded in the deep tresses of forest. Lined against the gravel path were burly trees that held bright green leaves. The scenery as we drive is quite beautiful.

The driver, whose name I learned was Trevor, slowed the vehicle on the outskirts of the gravel road.

"We're here, Ms. Westerfield," he announced.

"I think we should go back to the house," I tell him.

He looks at me through the rearview mirror; his blue eyes sparkle under the sun's ray. "Oh, really? And why would we do that?"

I shrug and look around the room, fiddling with my fingers in my lap. "I think I left my... phone... yes! My phone." I smack my palm against my head and let out a whiny laugh. "Silly me. Looks like we really do have to turn back after all."

He laughs. "You're nervous - I get it. I was, too, when I first attended college. I was sweating buckets and all, but once I got through the first week the nerves slipped away. The same will happen for you, miss."

"How do you know?"

"Because you're a smart girl. You'll adapt here in no time."

"Maybe you're right..."

"Trust me, miss, you'll do great. And you could always call your parents if you need more insurance."

What makes you think they'd answer their phones if they couldn't even drop me off, I almost say, then scold myself for thinking of something so silly and selfish. They're out there doing their jobs, why would they stop just to baby me and drop me off to school? I need to get out and do what I planned - make them pleased with me. I won't be able to do that if I cry like a little baby and cry to go home. No. I need to suck it up and get out of this car.

"Miss Westerfield, are you alright?" Trevor asks.

I yank my lips back in an overjoyed smile. "Yes, thank you for your kind words, Trevor. But I really just need to toughen up. I am eighteen after all - I'm not a baby anymore."

"It doesn't mean you're acting like a baby, though -" he begins, but I slice through his words.

"Thank you for the drive. I really have to go now."

He looks at me with a perplexed expression; his blonde eyebrows drawn together while his pink lips are pursed. He murmurs something under his breath I don't quite catch, and I take it as my cue to exit the car. I land on the gravel and silently curse myself for wearing flats, but shake the thought away and round the car and open the trunk. Retrieving both of my luggage, I close the trunk and walk up the length of the car. I wave Trevor goodbye. He gives me a reluctant wave, and I wink before continuing to walk.