9. Domus Competere

It had been three weeks since everyone found out about Lily and Scorpius' relationship. Every sunset after class, they would meet under the tree near the Black Lake and they would talk for hours until their stomachs grumbled, telling them that it was time for supper. It had been three weeks of having Scorpius all to herself.

It had been three perfect weeks.

Scorpius was playing with Lily's hair as she leaned on his shoulder.

"Alix told me that Professor McGonagall called the head boys and girls for a short meeting last night." He said.

"What did McGonagall say?" Lily muttered as she drew a portrait of Dracula and Francis, their owls.

"She's going to announce it later. Hogwarts will be having a big event." He said with a smirk.

"Cool. Is it going to be like last year's fair?" Lily remembered Hogwarts last May. There were flags of green, red, yellow, and blue, hung around the field and there were hippogriff rides, treasure hunting, snitch chasing, horror booths, and food booths everywhere! It was the funnest Hogwarts event Lily had the chance to experience, for it only happened every seven years, to celebrate the victory of the second wizarding war.

"No, it will be bigger than that and entirely different, but nonetheless exciting." He stood up and offered his hand to Lily. "Let's go, we can't be late for supper."

Lily took his hand and stood up. "Okay." They walked back into the castle to the Great Hall where long tables were filled with food as everyone was walking towards their usual seat. Lily sat beside Albus and Hugo, in front of Alice.

"The headmistress has an announcement to make." Hugo whispered in Lily's ear when she sat down.

Lily looked at the headmistress, standing at the podium and beside it was a glowing cup that had light blue -- almost silver vapour.

"Settle down, settle down." Professor McGonagall said with her calm and authoritative voice. "This year at Hogwarts, the staff, including your head boys and girls, have had several meetings over the summer break."

Everyone kept whispering their theories and assumptions into each other's ears. A boy with brunette hair leaned towards Alice and whispered loudly. "I reckon there'll be Beauxbatons involved." Alice raised a brow and answered back. "There better be Durmstrang boys, too."

Professor McGonagall pointed her wand near her throat to amplify her voice. "SILENCE." McGonagall demanded as the room suddenly fell silent. They turned their attention to the headmistress who was already frowning. "Right, where was I? Oh, yes... This year at Hogwarts, we will be having a one of a kind event to test your house's skills and abilities. This competition has been practiced by many wizarding schools since the 18th century and this year, we have decided to carry on the tradition once again. This only happens once every 10 years and we call it: Domus Competere." McGonagall said, her voice getting serious and deep. Whispers started echoing around the Great Hall as McGonagall waved her wand at the glowing cup. The room was filled with gasps and awes at the mysterious sight. The glowing cup shot smoke that filled the room with gold, silver, bronze, and black.

"Each house will be having two representatives and it will be just like a Triwizard Tournament, without the participation of other schools." The students cheered and clapped. Meanwhile, the brunette boy looked at Alice and shrugged, disappointedly.

"The person who wins the Domus Competere cup will be awarded 500 galleons and of course, eternal glory." Everyone's faces lit up with excitement as McGonagall continued on. "The house of the winning student will also be rewarded. They shall be exempted for their final exams, 300 points will be added for their house cup, and last but certainly not the least, a common room makeover." McGonagall finished and all the houses roared and jumped on their seats with joy and excitement.

"Students may join by putting your full name on a piece of special paper that will be given to you by the head of your house. It is no ordinary paper, and it cannot simply be copied. You can only enter once and at the end of the week, the cup will decide who is most worthy for this competition." McGonagall added.

"No age limit? That's bloody awesome!" A little third year from Slytherin beamed.

"Yes, there is no age limit, but take my word from it when I say that it will be very VERY dangerous, and you also have to make your parent or guardian sign the permit, allowing you to join the tournament. That is the only time we will be giving you the paper." McGonagall said.

"Are you joining?" Lily asked Albus who was smiling widely.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." He smirked.

After supper, Lily was assigned for prefect duties. She assisted the first years back to the Gryffindor common along with Alice and Hugo.

"Lily, are you going to join the competition?" Alice asked.

"No, I don't want to die early, thank you very much." Lily answered.

Hugo spoke up. "But wouldn't it be great? The whole Gryffindor house, cheering for you? I'm definitely joining." He nodded, confidently.

"I doubt Aunt Hermione would ever allow you." Lily chuckled.

"Dad would convince her. I'm certain." Hugo said.

They were about to enter the common room when Scorpius ran after Lily.

"Lily, wait up!" Scorpius shouted.

"Scorpius, it's late. We'll get into trouble if we sneak around again." Lily said in a hushed voice while Hugo and Alice went inside the common room.

"I know, I just wanted to say good night," he smiled. "and I might join the competition." He said ever so carefully so that Lily wouldn't freak out.

"No, you're not." Lily instantly answered back.

"Lily, c'mon. It's just a game, I think it would be really cool. Please?" Scorpius held her hand.

"Scorpius, that's dangerous. I don't want my boyfriend given back to me in pieces at the end of the school year." She frowned as she leaned on the wall.

"God, I love it when you say that." He bit his lower lip as he put his hand on the wall, his blue eyes locked on Lily's eyes whilst cornering her.

Why was everything he do so attractive? Lily asked herself.

"Say what?" She asked, confused.

"When you say I'm yours. In whatever way you say it, I love it." He grinned before kissing her passionately.

Lily pushed Scorpius lightly, breaking the kiss. "As much as I'd like to continue this, I do not want to get detention. See you tomorrow?" She smiled, the apples of her cheek turning pink.

Scorpius sighed and pecked her cheek. "See you. But about that competition, think about it, okay? I really want to enter."

Lily nodded as she watched him walk away before she went inside the common room.

'No chance.' She thought to herself.

Everyone was chattering loudly about the Domus Competere cup when she arrived in the common room.

"Domus Competere means House Competion in Latin." Rose said informatively as she sat down on the couch. "I'll gladly be your mentor, Hugo. If you get chosen." Rose offered with a smile.

"Thanks, but no thanks. I want someone badass like... Freddie!" Hugo looked at Fred with a grin.

"Hugo, you do realize that your sister is a head girl and that she would know in advance what every trial would be and how to solve it?" Fred said coolly.

"Oh yeah?" Hugo's eyes widened in realisation. "Rose, I changed my mind, be my mentor!" He shook his sister's shoulders as everyone laughed.

"Too late, kid. You had your chance." Rose teased.

Lily sat down beside James. "Who's entering, anyway?" She asked.

"Well, all of us want to." James replied with a shrug.

Lily looked at Lucy and Dominique in disbelief. "Even you, girls?" Lily whined.

"We're only gonna try, Lils. Besides, anyone who enters and doesn't get picked could help out with preparing." Lucy explained.

And then it hit her.

If she puts her name in the Domus cup, it will automatically mean that she could look after Scorpius just incase he gets picked. There's no way Scorpius would follow her even if she said no. Who would bloody miss that opportunity?

What's bothering Lily was that there's a high chance that Scorpius could get picked. Not only is he top of the class, but he's also very strong, witty, and brave. How perfect could that bloke get? Lily suddenly became aware of what the consequences would be if he actually does get picked:

What if Scorpius gets injured? I can't handle that. It's too much.

Don't be a pussy. He's a big boy.

I know, but I have to be cautious about this.

Then put your name in the damn cup!

But what if I get picked too?

You won't, don't be silly.

Okay.

Lily came back to her senses after a few minutes.

"Give me the permit. I'm joining."

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Hugo asked as he chewed on a Licorice wand.

"I... I don't know. Peer pressure?" Lily blinked as she mentally smacked her face for coming up with such a lame excuse.

"Okay?" Hugo furrowed his eyebrows and gave her the permit. She carefully took it from him and read what was inside:

To Mr./Mrs. ___________

We would like to inform you that there will be a school-wide event called Domus Competere. This is a competition that widely resembles a Triwizard Tournament. It will consist of three dangerous tasks. This letter will be the proof that you are allowing your child to compete in the games if the Domus cup chooses his/her name.

By signing this, your child will automatically have one entry in the games.

From,
The Headmistress of Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry, Professor Minerva R. McGonagall.

Lily folded the paper and put it inside her pocket for safe-keeping.