18. Yule Ball

I.

Lily wanted to believe that it was nothing - that what she heard was all a misunderstanding. She wanted to believe that everything was going to be okay and in a few seconds, he would just laugh at Lily and say, "Come on, Lils. You know you're the only girl I love and I would never cheat on you."

She wanted to believe that it was going to be better . . .

But everything was better than what happened next.

"Lily..." Her heart fell when Scorpius looked down guiltily, now and then opening his mouth as he tried to come up with words to say next.

"Is it true?! Answer me!" She cried out, pushing him harshly.

"I'm sorry, Lily." He whispered, reaching out to her.

"No." She interjected with a wave of her hand as tears fell down to her cheeks. "Don't. Touch. Me."

Scorpius' hand dropped, but he took a step forward. "Listen, Lils."

Lily couldn't contain the anger she was feeling inside her. She took a step back, trying to keep her distance from him as she whimpered. "I trusted you."

He looked away unable to speak, which only maddened Lily more. "I trusted you and you betrayed me!" She sobbed. "I thought you were different, Scorpius. You made me believe that you were different!" She slammed her fists to his chest, her tears uncontrollable. "You made me believe that you actually loved me."

He shook his head with a frown, suddenly wrapping his arms around her tightly. "I do--"

"Bullshit!" She nudged him with her elbow, trying to hurt him as much as she was hurting inside. "Everything you say is bullshit."

"I meant every word I said to you! I still mean it, Lils."

"Oh yeah?" She pushed him again as she sobbed. "Look at me!"

Scorpius avoided her gaze as if he was hurting, too.

"Look at me in the eyes, Scorpius, and tell me that you didn't cheat on me."

"Lily, please." He pleaded, taking her hand and squeezing it.

"You're a fucking joke. I can't believe I loved a monster." She said as she shoved her hand away. "And you know what's worse? The fact that I would do anything- everything- for you, because I thought you were real." She stopped for a moment, wiping her tears as her lips trembled. "Because I thought we were real."

Her expression changed when she turned her back with her head held high. "But they were right. All the things they said about you were right and I should've believed them right from the beginning."

Before Scorpius could speak up, she was already storming off, running as fast as she could, though almost tripping because of the tears that were blocking her view.

"Lily!" He shouted to stop her, but she only ran faster, trying to make her way through the crowd of Gryffindors who were on their way to their common room.

II.

The Great Hall's long wooden tables were replaced by sophisticated round tables and chairs while the other side of the room was the dance floor and a stage for the bands that were to perform for the Yule Ball.

The staff were decorating the walls with fairy lights as the head boys and girls helped with the decorations of the christmas trees. Instead of the floating candles, the ceiling was covered with cloudy skies and falling snowflakes to give off the aura of the yuletide season.