Chapter Thirty-Nine: Have You Felt It?

JANIRA BONTERI

The bright lights made Janira wince as consciousness began to return to her. But despite a pressing urge to curl up and go back to sleep, there was an even more present sense of wrongness to her surroundings. She had slept deeply – that she could tell right away – but it felt like it had been anything but restful.

That made no sense. Unlike her fidgety brother, she had always been a deep sleeper, and arose refreshed and ready to face the day.

A soft gasp cut through the fog of semi-wakefulness. "Jani!"

Janira blinked, and as her eyes adjusted to the light, she became aware of the orange and white of Ahsoka's face just above her.

"Hi... Ahsoka," she murmured sleepily. A moment later, she found herself being enveloped in a hug, but while the embrace was genuine, Jani suddenly had the impression Ahsoka was being overly careful in handling her.

How badly did I get scratched up? She wondered.

"I was so worried," Ahsoka whispered.

"Aw, s'no need for that. It was nothing a little bacta couldn't fix." Jani reached up to poke Ahsoka's shoulder. "How's your arm?"

"Mercy! You got blown out of your fighter and the first thing you ask me is how my arm is doing?"

Jani chuckled and glanced over at the readings on a nearby screen, checking the before and after graphics of her injuries. It had been worse than she was willing to admit – she had had her left leg broken in four places, three broken ribs, her shoulder run through by a dispenser tube, and severe burns. Not to mention the carbon monoxide poisoning, which had put her in intensive care for forty-six hours.

"Hey, the 'pad says I've been out for two days." She broke off mid-shrug as her arm smarted painfully, and covered her discomfort with a smile and a lighthearted tone. "You can't blame me for trying to get back in the know."

Ahsoka shook her head, laughing softly. "I nearly sent Kaya flying across the room when we were trying to pop it back into place, but otherwise it's good as new."

"Was it really that bad?"

Ahsoka shook her head, but Jani could tell she was lying.

"Well, we both got chewed up, then," she said, filling a short silence, and brought herself carefully into a sitting position.

"You should consider yourself lucky. You were pushing the survival time as it was – the medics said you would have been brain-dead had you been out there another fifteen, and brain-dead at the half-hour mark. You'll have to go through physical therapy for a few days to make sure everything's okay, but the medics are confident in how you've responded to treatment so far."

Ahsoka's tone was cool, but there was a look to her deep blue eyes that spoke of other worries hidden beneath the surface.

"Well, it's a good thing I'm still here, I guess," Jani said. "Phoenix Squadron still needs every pilot it can get its hands on, and if I can help with that, then–"

Suddenly, a familiar figure shot through the door, breathing heavily. A pair of grey eyes alight with fear met hers, but Jani had only a smile in return.

"Lux!" Jani cried, beckoning him closer. "How did you know I was awake?"

"I felt your presence." Suddenly, the relief in Lux's eyes turned to anger, and it was clearly with great difficulty that he stopped himself from stalking over to the foot of her bed. "What the hell were you thinking? You could have been badly hurt, Jani! You could have been killed!"