Chapter Fifty-Six: Knowing Where You're Needed Most

LUX BONTERI

Despite Lux and his friends' best efforts to keep it contained, word of Kaya Ti's death spread like wildfire.

The news had sent the New Jedi Order reeling, and before long, it was on the lips of every man, woman and variation thereupon. No one had overlooked its significance, either: Kaya had been the Padawan of one of their most skilled warriors, and she had been struck down by the Empire's forces as if she had been nothing.

Many Jedi had already been wondering if they still had hope of making a stand or even surviving in the long run. Now that Kaya was gone, those doubts were gaining more and more ground. Whispers of leaving turned to murmurs, and murmurs turned to angry conversations in dark corners, far away from prying eyes as families and friends debated whether there was really cause to leave.

Lux hadn't realized just how close some of the Jedi had been to making the decision to leave Cialone and go hide in remote locations, in hopes that smaller numbers would attract less attention. He had always known there were some people who were in favor of leaving, but he hadn't expected the sheer increase in their numbers at all.

But in retrospect, the signs had all been there – he had just been too blind to see them. And it was only a matter of time before the rising issue of whether or not to split up or stay together tore the New Jedi Order apart.

As of now, however, Lux had more pressing concerns: he had called Ahsoka eleven times in the past two days, and every call had gone unanswered.

He knew she was avoiding him. And he knew he deserved it. He had said things he hadn't meant for no other reason than to boost his ego. It had been a snap reflex, one he hadn't thought to keep in check: as far as he was concerned, there was nothing worse than feeling he was not needed – or even wanted.

All the pent-up frustration that Ahsoka couldn't be around more broke through in the worst way possible, and Lux knew part of the problem was that they didn't talk enough.

Sure, they would have their daily calls via hologram, but it wasn't enough. They spoke freely about the Rebellion, the New Jedi Order or IronFist, but only very rarely about how they were feeling. They had always preferred to have deeper conversations about matters of the heart in the safety of each other's arms.

And with how rare opportunities like that were becoming, it was as if those conversations, which were so important to their relationship, didn't happen at all.

He had let his anger get the better of him when she had just lost her apprentice, and he felt terrible. The parallels between the present and the months-long fight that had nearly torn them apart came to mind immediately, and it took all his willpower to push them away.

"Daddy," came a child's voice from the door. Lux looked up, and a smile came to his face when he caught sight of his eldest child and only daughter.

"Hi, Aeja," he said. "Where are your brothers?"

"Playing with some of the other kids in the mess hall." Aeja took a few steps closer, biting her lip. "Daddy, something's wrong."

"What is it, sweetie?" Lux asked gently, walking over to where his daughter stood and bent down so they were at eye-level with her. "What's bothering you?"

"Call Momma, Daddy. She's..." Aeja was quiet for a moment, as if trying to find a word. "She's very sad; hurting."

Lux couldn't help it – he froze. How in the galaxy can she sense what Ahsoka is feeling from all the way here? I know that Aeja is incredibly powerful all four of them are, thanks to their mother's bloodline , but this is extraordinary!