Chapter 12

She stood in the same place she had been for over half an hour as she had patiently listened to what Jacob had to say.

She frowned as he stared at her after having told her everything he knew. She had no idea what sort of a reaction he was expecting. What was she even supposed to think? She opened her mouth to say something but immediately closed it again, not knowing what to say. Instead she just continued to frown.

Moments later, she finally found the right words. "What.. What are you saying?"

Jacob inhaled deeply, his gaze dropping to the floor before looking back up at Connie.

"Look, I don't know for sure what's going on here," he paused, choosing his next words carefully. "But I think Steph and Mr. Sims might be plotting something against you... That letter-"

"That's ridiculous," she sneered. But the mocking smile on her face slowly disappeared as she began to think about what he was insinuating.

Despite her impulsive reaction, Jacob's words had affected her more than she had first thought. But being the stubborn person she was, she would never admit to it. Besides, he was most likely overreacting. Steph Sims was in prison, she couldn't get to her anymore.

Jacob looked into her eyes as a sad smile crossed his face.

"I may be wrong," he said in disbelief. "But despite what you might think, I want the best for you - for both of you. I don't want to see you getting hurt."

"Well you don't have to worry about us," she replied coldly. "We're not your responsability. Not anymore," she muttered under her breath.

Jacob knew her enough by now to know that her true feelings didn't always mirror her cool and frosty exterior. He could tell just by looking at her that she was putting on an act. What he couldn't understand was why she always felt the need to. The fact that she didn't trust him enough to open up to him tore him apart inside.

All he wanted to do at that very moment was to wrap his arms around her small frame, hold her close and tell her that everything was going to be okay. He couldn't help but feel protective of her. He just wished she knew that he was there for her, whenever she need him. The fact that they were no longer together didn't change the fact that he cared about her, he always would.

"Look," he said, taking a step closer to her. "I know that you are capable of taking care of yourself-"

"Perfectly capable," she added.

Jacob nodded in agreement before persuing. "But if you ever need to talk - if you need anything - I'm only a phone call away."

After what seemed like hours, Jacob finally left, leaving Connie to rush back inside to the warmth of her house.

Later that night, after Grace had gone to bed, she was left alone with her thoughts. As she stood in front of the bathroom mirror removing her make up, she thought back to the day she had had. It had been eventful to say the least.

Her mind wondered back to the letter she had recieved that morning, to her accident, to the chat she had had with Jacob... Out of the three things, talking to Jacob had definitely been the stand out moment.

As she stood in front of the sink, she looked back up to the mirror and simply stared at herself for a few seconds. To her annoyance, she watched as a tear formed in the corner of her eye. She cursed at herself for letting her emotions get the better of her.

No matter what she did, she couldn't seem to get Jacob out of her head. He was always there, wherever she turned, wherever she looked. It seemed she couldn't escape him, no matter how hard she tried.

What if she didn't want to escape him? She thought to herself for a split second before shaking her head and returning to the reality of things. She wasn't with Jacob anymore. She had to accept that and move on.

As she made her way to her bed, she thought back to everything Jacob had told her only hours earlier. She sat down on the edge of her bed and frowned, wondering if he was right, that Steph Simms really did want revenge. She wouldn't put it past her, she was the most spiteful woman Connie had ever come across.

Whether it were true or not, Connie wasn't about to let Steph get the better of her. She didn't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing that she was worried. Besides, Jacob could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

And again, Jacob was in her thoughts. She felt vulnerable for what seemed to be the first time in her life and she didn't like it one bit. For once, she didn't feel in control of anything whether it be her non-existant relationship with Jacob or the whole affair with Steph Simms.

She didn't want to think about any of it anymore - or at least for the rest of the night. She could feel a headache coming on which wasn't a surprise given the day she had just had. With a sigh, she pulled the sheets back on her bed and decided it was time to call it a night.

I am so so sorry for letting this much time pass without posting an update... I've been quite busy lately with work AND I've had writer's block (which is the worst thing ever) so I just haven't had the chance to write anything.

Please forgive me?? Anyway, the next few chapters are coming very soon!