Chapter 2 - We Can Work It Out

~John's~

Thankfully Mimi wasn't home as I walked through the front door. Thankfully Paul asked me over, or else I wouldn't have had any sleep and then would've missed school. He didn't notice me leave this morning, but that was probably for the best. Would've been an awkward conversation if we'd both woken up and noticed we had been cuddling... very awkward.

I'd made it to school just in time for class. Paul was in my first class and I was excited to see him again. I walked in with my head high and scanned the room. Paul's little friend Harrison was there, but no Paul in sight. I sank into my chair, and felt my heart sink as well. Why wasn't he there? Would it be odd if I asked George?

That class felt like it dragged on for hours until finally, the bell rang. I hurried out of the class and caught up with George in the hallway. "Eh Harrison!" I yelled to get his attention. His head whipped around and his eyes widened when he realized it was me yelling his name, "Uhm... can I help you, Lennon?" He stopped and raised an eyebrow. "S'not often that you're friend McCartney misses class, he alright?" I tried to sound casual. "You know as much as I do, Lennon..." George sounded worried. I was worried. I had just been with him, and now he isn't showing up for school? I watched him set his alarm and everything.. Not good. "Why do you care, anyway?" George asked me. "I just noticed he wasn't there, son. He seems like a spot on kid, not the type to just miss class." I was starting to panic. "Well if it makes he feel better, I'm skipping class now to go check on him... because you're right, he doesn't just miss class.." George said as he opened his locker. "Mind if I join ye?... Second period is a drag." I asked him, and he nodded, still seeming confused about why it mattered to me.

"First we best go see if his younger brother is here because he'd know what's up." George said as we walked toward the juniors wing. "There's his class, bugger it must've already started. I didn't even hear the bell." George swore under his breath. "Well I'll just open the door and you look inside." I mumbled. George nodded. I opened the door, and the tall scrawny teacher lowered his glasses "Can I help you, lad?" He asked. I looked at George, who was looking around the room. "Sorry sir, must've gotten the wrong room. M'new to school n'all!" I said in a daft, small voice and closed the door. "He's not there..." George shrugged, "I'm beginning to think this is serious, so if yer just doin' this for laughs you can bugger off." George looked seriously at me and crossed his arms. "No, no Harrison. I'd like to see if Paul is okay, now let's get over to his flat." I began to lead the way. "I didn't even know you knew Paul, Lennon." George blurted out as he caught up to me. "I do, mate. He's a good kid, just wanna help out y'know." I didn't want to make how much I cared too obvious to the younger boy.

"This is it," George pointed to Paul's house. We began to walk up to the door and my heart started to pound. What if Paul didn't want to see me? That didn't matter at the time though. I just needed to know he was okay. Before I knew it, George was knocking on the door. It was silent for almost two full minutes before a small boy who looked like Paul opened the door. His face was beat red and his cheeks were tear stained. "GEORGE!" He flung his arms around George. "Mikey, what's goin on lad?" George asked him as he held his shoulders and stared into his tear-filled eyes. "P-Paul's in b-bed, h-he won't wake up," Mike was hysterical in George's arms now. My heart was racing. "Let me see 'em Mikey," George was obviously worrying too. Mike slowly went up the stairs, I wanted to tell hurry the fuck up, but this child was obviously shaken. He sat down beside Paul's bedroom door and nodded for us to go in. George opened the bedroom door, I almost wanted to close my eyes I was so scared to find out what was going on. But I couldn't blink.

"PAUL!" George yelped. There Paul was, laying in his bed. Same clothes he had on when I left him, except his nose, lip, and forehead were bleeding profusely and his eye was swollen shut. I stood frozen in the doorway. George was lightly tapping Paul's cheek, telling him to wake up. "George he probably has a concussion.." I said quietly. George's head spun around "Go get some ice and some water." He scolded. I didn't want Paul out of my sight, but I knew I had to help. Mike showed me the way to their kitchen. I rummaged through the ice box frantically. "Mike, do you know what happened to your brother?" The words came out of my mouth faster than I could even understand. Mike was still crying. "What happened, son?" I knelt down in front of him. "I don't know, I-I was sleepin', n I woke up because Paulie was cryin' and screamin'...must've been daddy again..." Mike ended in a whisper. My heart almost shattered in my chest. I hugged the poor kid. "We'll make sure everything is okay.." I said to him. "Are you Paulie's friend from last night?" Mike asked me. I raised my eyebrows, "Uh- yeah, I'm John. Nice to meet you, son. Now let's go help your brother." I stood up and offered him my hand. He took my hand. Suddenly we both stopped when we heard George yell my name. Mike gripped my hand tighter and we ran up the stairs. My eyes were wide and still not blinking. Paul's eyes were open, but obviously wandering. "He keeps saying your name.." George told me. I walked toward him and took George's spot on the bed. "Macca?" I said as I grabbed his hand. Paul looked at me. God, he looked so broken. "What happened?" I whispered. Even my whisper made Paul flinch, he was in some serious pain. I looked at George, "We should take him to the hospital..." I mumbled. George shook his head, "His da' did this, Lennon. Him and Mike would be homeless..." he whispered for Mike not to hear.

I knew he was right but I sure as hell wasn't happy about it.