Chapter 9: In Spite of All The Danger

~Paul's~

I was so eager to meet John that I almost forgot about George again. I stood at my locker and waited for him, getting antsy. "Aye Paul." George said as he walked up beside me and opened his locker. "I'm sorry mate.." I said, he still seemed upset. "M'not mad, mate. Stop worryin' so much. I've got detention though so yer knight in shining armour won't be able to walk ye home today, my sincerest apologies." George joked. I laughed, "How COULD you?!" We giggled and he closed his locker. "Why d'ye have detention?" I asked as I checked the clock over his shoulder. John would probably be worried by this point. "Ah, no real reason mate. I'll see ye tomorrow?" George asked as he began to walk backward, waiting for my response. "Yes, indeed Georgie!" I said and quickly started walking to the door where I was to meet John. I walked outside to find the one and only John Lennon. He was sitting on a bench, smoking a cigarette and staring at what looked like a painting. "John?" I said, almost too quietly. His head spun around and his face lit up. "M'love, I though you'd never come." He stood and handed me a smoke. I wanted to hug him so badly, just be close to him, but I knew I couldn't. Not in public, anyhow. "Whattya got there?" I asked, pointing to the large canvas he had left leaning against the bench.

"Oh, I painted today." John said hesitantly. "Show me!" I said, excitedly as I began to walk toward the painting. "Wait!" John grabbed my arm roughly. I spun around and stared at him, and tugged my arm away. "Oh I'm sorry m'love, I didn't mean to--" John began to speak but I was already walking. I walked right passed the painting and lit my cigarette. I could hear him getting close behind. "Paul I wasn't trying to scare ye er nothin..." John kept apologizing. I stopped because even though I was a panicky mess, I could tell I was overreacting. I waited for him to catch up with my eyes closed and when he caught up I could feel him next to me. He wasn't touching me, I could just feel his presence. It was a magnificent feeling. "Paul?" John questioned. I opened my eyes and smiled. "Two smiles, two days in a row.. I'm lucky." John smiled and we began to walk again. "Really though, what did ye paint?" I asked, pointing to his canvas again. He lifted it up and showed me. It was a beautiful painting with a dark bluebird and what looked like blue skies and cloudiness behind it, with a red line through it all. "Wow John, I knew ye were a good singer but an artist too? You've got it all." I told him. John stopped walking and I hadn't noticed until I was already a little ways ahead of him. When I didn't feel his presence.

"John? What is it?" I asked him. "Uh, Paul.." John pointed to his left, to my house. I had walked right passed it without even noticing. I tried to laugh it off, but John saw right through it. He knew that even my subconscious was scared to go home. "Call me later, yeah?" John urged. "Come sit in the front room with me? Dad and Mike won't be home for at least another twenty minutes.." I suggested. John smiled and nodded, "Show me the way, m'love."

We walked into the front room and closed the door. It was a dark room, no natural light either due to the fact that my Dad hated being woken up by the sunlight. He had put thick curtains up all over the house. John and I sat down and he pointed to one of my guitars. I nodded. He picked it up and began to play.

In spite of all the danger

In spite of all that may be

I'll do anything for you

Anything you want me to

If you'll be true to me

In spite of all the heartache

That you may cause me

I'll do anything for you

Anything you want me to