Chapter 20: It's Only Love

~John's~

The feeling of being on stage in Hamburg with George, Stu, Ritchie and of course, Paul, was one of the best feelings in the entire world. It was like being high, we fed off each other's energy as well as the crowd's.

Earlier in the day, George had told me that one of the prozzies was talking to him about queer marriage and the fact that it was legal in Paris. I couldn't get it off my mind.

This particular night was more successful than most. The Star Club was packed tight, and there were even people lined up out the door. But even better than that, all of us were in an amazing mind set. The music sounded great, and we all felt great. Stu was on my microphone with me, and Paul and George were sharing a microphone. Ritchie was up on his drum kit looking as happy as ever.

I looked over at Paul to find he was already looking at me. He had a huge smile on his face and his pupils were huge! I was so happy to see he was having such a good time. I winked at him and got back to pleasing the crowd.

By the time the end of our set rolled around, we did our bow and exited the stage to the dressing room. "Bloody best show we've had yet, that was!" I said as I patted Stu on the back, who nodded in agreement. Paul and George were already getting ready to leave, but I wanted to stay for a drink. "Headin' out then, Paul? Geo?" I asked. Paul turned around with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, I'm not feeling too good. Are you not comin' with?" He asked. "John, Ritchie and I are going to stay and have a drink. John will come home to wifey a little later after hanging out with the big boys, right Lennon?!" Stu answered for me as he jabbed me in the arm. "Yes, love. I'll be up to the hotel soon, just gonna have a pint with Stu and Ritchie." I told Paul as George walked by me, Paul not far behind. As Paul went to walk by, I grabbed his arm. "Are you okay, m'love?" I asked quietly. Paul nodded, and I noticed his pupils were now extremely tiny, almost unseen.

"I love you." I said even quieter in his ear in order for Ritchie not to hear. "Don't forget to take your meds, John." Paul said a little louder and walked away. That threw me off. He knew I took my medication in the morning in order for the alcohol I drank at night not to conflict with it. "What's got his knickers in a twist?" Stu asked loudly. Paul spun around and dropped his guitar case down, coming back down toward Stu. "Paul," I tried to grab him but he flung his arm away and shot me a death stare. My eyes widened, I'd never seen Paul like that before. Paul grabbed Stu by the collar and held him up, his feet dangling, against the dirty brick wall. "Fuck off, McCartney!" Stu yelled, as he tried to squirm out of Paul's surprisingly strong hold.

I ran up behind Paul and grabbed his shoulders. "Paul! Put him down!" I tried to sound as nice as possible, still while having Paul know I was serious. Let them fight. They're fighting over you. I stumbled back away from my boyfriend and best friend as I heard the words in my head. I hadn't for so long that I was in shock by it. I shook my head a few times to bring myself back down to earth when I saw Paul putting Stu down. "Oh thank god." I mumbled as I walked back over to them. Ritchie shook his head. "I'm going to get a fuckin' drink before this gets too ridiculous." He said as he walked out of the dressing room and back out into the club. "Hell McCartney, didn't pin you as the violent type. More as the damsel in distress." Stu chuckled. Paul's face was beat red. "I will fucking kill you, Stuart." Paul snarled. "Paul! Don't fuckin' say shit like that, c'mon I'll take ye back to the hotel..." I said as I tried to pull Paul away from Stu. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like Paul could peel his eyes away from him.

"Y'know what, John? Leave him. He won't do anything, anyway." Stu told me, with a smirk on his face. Paul lunged at him, and pushed him to the ground. Paul climbed on top of him and hit Stu in the face twice before Stu over powered and rolled Paul on to his back. "BLOODY HELL!" I yelled as I tried to pull Stu off of Paul. I knew Paul didn't like physical violence, for obvious reasons, but having Stu on top of him, hitting him repeatedly in the face must have hurt more than his face. "STU! GET THE FUCK OFF 'IM!" I screamed as I yanked at Stu's shoulders. "Fuck OFF Lennon!" Stu screamed as his elbow came flying into my nose. "Fuck!" I yelped in pain as I felt blood trickle out of my nose and down my face. Paul had stopped trying to fight back, his body fell limp and his eyes were closed. His face was covered with blood. I was frozen. I had never thought I'd see Paul like that again. It made images of him lying unconscious in that hospital bed flash through my mind. "Stu! You're gonna kill him!" I heard George yell from behind me as he ran back into the dressing room and yanked Stu off of Paul. "What the hell John?!" George looked at me with panic and anger in his eyes. Stu sat back against the wall trying to catch his breath, George holding him there.