Chapter 14

Charlotte

"What's this from?" I asked, rubbing a patch of thin scar tissue on Luca's shoulder. For the last hour, we'd been lying in my bed in each other's arms letting the world pass us by. It was like time stopped, and all that mattered was right here.

"The first time I got shot." Luca said as nonchalantly as if we were discussing the weather.

"The first time?"

A small smile crept across his lips. "Occupational hazard."

"How many times?" I asked, propping myself up a little bit. Suddenly I needed to know all about it. Even though I knew who he was, the thought of Luca being shot never even crossed my mind before. Of course, he had. He was probably in dangerous situations all the time. The more that sank in, the heavier my chest became.

"What?" Luca set his phone down giving me his full attention. "How many times have I been shot? Three."

He took my hand and brought it back to the scar. "Once here, I was eighteen and had just joined the ranks. I was young and stupid and a guy from the Irish group got me off guard."

He pressed my fingers to his skin, dragging them up to his opposite shoulder. I shuddered at how close it was to his heart. "Once here, a buddy of mine and I were sent undercover to take down a sex trafficking ring the Russians were running out of Manhattan. Our cover got blown, I made it out before anything happened but my buddy got held up. I had to go back in for him."

"Did he make it out?" My voice faltered.

"Barely. He's got an even gnarlier scare than me." Luca smirked, knowing I was hanging on his every word. It was sickening. He was just a teenager the first time he was shot, and I couldn't help but wonder how early on he was expected to take part in this type of thing. When did he take charge? How did he get involved in it to begin with? I had so many questions but I wasn't brave enough to ask any of them.

"And this one," His fingers led mine down his chest and stomach and then past his hips to the inner thigh of his right leg, stopping on a smooth, round scar on the inside of his right thigh. "This is from a disgruntled lover."

"What?" I let out a sharp laugh. He couldn't be serious.

"An ex-girlfriend of mine. One night we were at her place, and she wanted to have sex. I'd had too much to drink and couldn't get it up and I guess that really pissed her off. She grabbed her gun from the night stand and tried to shoot my dick right off. She missed, thank God." He raised his eye brows, and a serious expression washed over his face.

I stared at him blankly, trying to read his expression, but Luca had a killer poker face. Could he actually be serious? Finally, he cracked a smile.

"You aren't serious, are you?"

"Do you think I'm serious?" The deep smoothness of his voice sent a warm wave over my entire body.

"I... I don't know."

"You're going to need to get better at detecting a lie if you're going to survive in this world, Charlotte." He smirked, brushing my hair out of my eyes and securing it behind my ear.

"What actually happened?" Content with the fact he was lying, I relaxed and snuggled back into his bare chest.

"Well, I wasn't lying about the drinking part of the story. Angelo and I got drunk out of minds one night. We had our guns out, and his accidentally went off."

"Oh my god!" I covered my mouth. "That's terrible."

"It's okay. I shot him in the arm to make up for it." He shrugged.