Chapter 16

Charlotte

Beep.Bee-beeep. Beep. 

The drone of horns around me was so constant I almost didn't even hear it anymore. For the last hour, I had been sitting at a dead stop in this relentless traffic, trying to make my way from the gallery to Luca's estate. Normally, I didn't drive to work, but I had plans with Luca tonight--that is, if I ever got there. I crept along the road at a snail's pace, passing the time with a playlist of 90s hits that was on my Spotify. If I was going to be stuck here, at least I could entertain myself. 

There were plenty of opportunities for me to change my mind during the two hours it took me to make the drive. Plenty of exit signs, plenty of turn offs, plenty of excuses I give him. Bailing probably would be the smart thing to do. I couldn't even fathom the severity of the world I was getting myself wrapped up in, and Luca was right at the center of it. The ringmaster of this depraved crime circus. 

My brain knew that, but it was hard to reconcile the harsh criminal side of him with the goofy and charming guy who I spent the better part of yesterday with--even after he whipped that gun off of his hip and jumped to my defense. I had to admit, that small glimpse of him in his element nearly made me weak. The gun and the tattoos and the protective grasp on my wrist was like something right out of a crime show, and had me hot and bothered in ways I'd never experienced before. It was incredibly attractive to have a man stand up for me that way, even though I was used to handling things on my own. And I especially enjoyed seeing the look on Grant's face. 

And then there was the way he threw the word boyfriend out there so casually. I was still wondering if I had dreamt it. Did he mean it? Did I want him to? 

There was a part of me that thought I was attracted to Luca purely because he was the opposite of Grant in every way. A rebound of sorts. Grant was shallow and conceited, happy to throw around his credentials if he thought it would give him some kind of upper hand. He wanted everyone around him to feel like they were lucky just to be his friend, and I was the luckiest of all because I got to go home with him. He never failed to remind me after a night out the way he caught all kinds of woman staring at him, and how many would die at the chance to have drinks with an up and coming, young FBI agent. He liked to stay evasive, never giving a straight answer about where he would be or who he was going to be with so he couldn't get caught. At the time I didn't see it, but now it was painfully obvious how manipulative he was. Grant was the master of gaslighting, and I was ashamed I'd let it continue as long as I had. 

Luca, on the other hand, had the quiet kind of confidence that drew you in. He knew how gorgeous he was with that just-rolled-out-of-bed brown hair and charming grin. He knew he was the envy of everyone in the room--the lethal combination of wild success and striking looks. The men wanted to be him--jealous of his power and temptation-- while the women all waited impatiently for their chance to woe him. He knew all of that, but it didn't phase him in the slightest. He brushed the intrigue off, turning his attention to whoever he was with and ignoring the attention all together. He was private and guarded, and while I wanted to know everything about him, I could appreciate that. 

Seeing the two of them facing off in my living room felt like some sort of midivil duel, ready to battle it out for my heart. From the little I knew about Luca, it was no competition. He was head and shoulders above Grant in every way. 

Still, I hoped the allure wasn't just because I needed something different. Luca was different, all right, but he was also dangerous. I felt like Alice, tumbling into Wonderland with no idea what I was in for. And the longer I stayed, the harder it would be to separate Luca's world from my reality. 

Luca met me at the door, sweeping a gentle kiss across my cheek. "How was your day?" 

"It was good. I made some good progress on a few different projects. How was yours?"