Chapter 46

Charlotte

When Luca had first asked me to paint for his club, I had severely estimated what this place was. The only place I could even equate it to was a Las Vegas resort. Lavish and over the top and like Disney World for adults. 

The first two floors were were packed to the brim with clients that Luca referred to as the bottom tier--the ones who weren't wealthy or important enough to be invited elsewhere. The restaurant and club were on the first floor as was the only section that would be open to the public on a regular basis. The second floor was more of a lounge area with a wide sweeping outdoor patio, overlooking the crashing waves and expansive beach. There were big velvet couches and roaring fire pits and lights It reminded me of his restaurant in New York with a slightly different vibe, but every bit as magnificent. This area would be reserved for private parties or invitation only events. 

Luca fit so well in this world. I guess I knew that for a while, but being here and seeing it in person only reinforced that. He relished in the attention of others, talking to everyone like they were his best friend and thanking them for coming out. He was the circus master and held the attention of everyone in the room without even trying. People looked at Luca like he walked on water, and as far as they were concerned, he did. 

Luca pressed his thumb to the keypad at the front of the elevator and the doors slid open. It was the only elevator that accessed the third floor and roof, and apparently you needed a fingerprint or code to even get in. When we got in, the doors closed and Luca nodded to the attendant who pressed the third floor button for us. 

"Do I get to know the code?" I asked.

"No need. You'll never be here without me." He didn't even make eye contact with me, scrolling through his phone as we went up. 

"What if I want to come by myself sometime?" 

"You can't. You're not allowed in here without me." His tone was flat, leaving no room for discussion.

"I'm not allowed?" I arched any eyebrow at him. For the most part, Luca was trying, but in little moments like this he reverted back to the controlling and sexist behavior , it really put me off. 

Luca groaned and shoved his phone in his pocket, leaning towards me a little bit.

"Do you enjoy fighting me on everything, Charlotte?" He sighed. "This is no place for a woman like you. I'll take you anywhere in the world that you want to go, but after tonight, this place is off limits."

Off limits. I fought the urge to laugh. What was he, me father? This was ridiculous, and what was even more absurd was that he didn't see that. It wasn't even so much that I wanted to come here on my own, but the entire principle of it. The second Luca started ordering me around and trying to control me, my defiant side reared its head.

"Don't look at me like that." He warned. "This is a place I will conduct my business and I'm not compromising with your involvement in that."

"But you'll bring me here when you need a pretty little decoration on your arm?" I snapped, folding my arms over my chest. He was happy to parade me around here and show me off to his friends, but only on his terms. 

Luca stiffened, his eyes widening in exasperation. "Charlotte..." 

The ding of the elevator cut through the tension, announcing our arrival at the third floor. The doors opened to a room full of men and whatever Luca had to say was going to have to wait. His demeanor changed immediately as he gripped my hand and led me out of the elevator. We were back to putting on a show.

We were hardly off the elevator when we were bombarded by one of the guests. 

"Good evening, Luca. I don't believe I've met your date."