Chapter 15

Luca

I stood in Charlotte's doorway, fumbling with my keys and finding every excuse possible to stay here with her longer. Today ended exactly like I thought it would. I got a small taste of Charlotte, and now I was a goner. I had to have her. I had to have more in every way possible. Her laugh was spellbinding, the sparkle in her eye entrancing, and the taste of her sweet honey lips was more potent than any drug I'd ever tried. I was obsessed, addicted in the very worst way. 

And she was kicking me out.

"I had a really great time today." She smiled, fighting off a yawn. After finishing dinner, we'd sat on her couch drinking wine and talking some more. I was surprised how easy it came just to be with her. To sit in her company and just soak her in.

"I did, too." I brushed my lips against hers. "Are you sure you want me to go?"

"It's getting late, and I have to be at the gallery early." She said, leaning against the doorframe.

"We could just go to sleep." Why the fuck was I acting so desperate. Staying here another second was a bad idea, but I couldn't seem to pull myself away. The afternoon had been a dream, and if I didn't want to wind up wrapped around this girl's finger with my balls in a vice, I needed to get out of here and regroup. Not to mention track down all the information that had come to light this afternoon. Two dead brothers, an asshole father, and an ex-boyfriend who works for the FBI. Charlotte had even more secrets than I imagined, but at least I was pretty certain I found the connection between her and Silvano.

"We both know if you stay, neither one of us will be getting much sleep." She had a point there. "Call me tomorrow?"

"I'll do you one better. Why don't you come over after work? I'll cook you dinner."

"You cook?" She arched her eyebrow at me.

"You'll have to come by tomorrow to see for yourself." I shrugged, teasing her.

"I'll be there." She said, finally succumbing to the yawn and covering her mouth. "Goodnight, Luca."

"Goodnight, Tesoro. Sleep well."

When I was finally able to tear myself away from Charlotte's, I headed out to my car and started the drive to the estate. My mind was reeling, trying to settle itself after the day I had had. When I woke up this morning, Charlotte and I were hardly on speaking terms and now it was ten o'clock at night and I was just barely leaving her house after spending the entire afternoon and evening there. She and I got to know each other on the most intimate of levels and I let her ask me things I never would have dreamed of answering for anyone else. I liked the idea of keeping most of my life personal—the less people knew, the less they could exploit. But with Charlotte, it was different. Jesus, how many times had I said that the last few weeks? Everything was different with Charlotte, but it was the good kind of different. The kind of different that had the power to rock my entire world, and send it in a completely different direction. 

For the afternoon, I neglected my responsibilities and ignored the nagging problems that needed to be dealt with. One of those being the slimy FBI agent named Grant Fallon. I saw a lot happen over my time in the Mafia, and it wasn't often that I got caught off guard, but when I saw that mousy frat boy in her living room, all I saw was red. It took every ounce of strength in my being to keep my jealous rage at bay, and somehow, I managed.

I pulled up my contacts on the car screen and punched in Angelo's name. He picked up on the first ring.

"Where the hell have you been all afternoon? I thought you were going to help us sort through all the information we got on Silvano."