Chapter 27

Luca

When Charlotte and I finally crawled into bed, I thought I would sleep like a baby. Between the hurricane that was the last few days and the phenomenal shower sex, my mind and body were on the brink of exhaustion. But instead of falling asleep, I laid next to Charlotte wide awake. Her head rested on my shoulder, and I studied her as she slept, committing every perfect detail of her to memory. The way her chest rose and fell with each breath, the sweet honey scent of her hair and the way her tangled curls framed her face, the gentle rosy pout of her lips, and the way the corners curled up into a smile when I pressed my lips to her forehead. I wanted to remember everything, just in case there ever came a day we weren't together. 

The conversation I had with Elena kept replaying through my mind. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt Charlotte, but I couldn't fathom the idea of letting her go, however selfish that might make me. I didn't know what exactly this thing between us was, or what would come of it, but I knew I was staring to fall for her. I knew I hungry for her, that I craved every bit of her, and that the sound of her laughter was stronger than any drug I'd ever been on. Even with all the shit going on, I feel lighter than I had in months with her around, and I wasn't ready to give her up just yet. Not when we were just starting out. Not when we had so much potential. 

But would I have a choice when she found out the truth? When she found out I was lying to her all this time? That I knew her brothers and father were still alive, and I didn't tell her?

I made a living by lying to people, but lying to her was excruciating.  She was special--the type of girl that you held on to if you were lucky enough to have the opportunity. And you certainly didn't keep a girl like Charlotte by lying to her.

Antonio put me in an impossible situation, and as much as I wanted to say fuck him and do what I wanted, it wasn't that easy. This was all so twisted and convoluted, and Charlotte was at the center of it, but she had no idea.  

Around seven, I slipped out of bed and headed downstairs. I had something in mind for Charlotte today and I had a feeling she was going to love it.

Charlotte

"Oh good, you're up." Luca chirped, walking in from the closet almost completely dressed in a pair of work out shorts and a t-shirt. 

I was hardly awake when he sat down on the bed next to me, as chipper and upbeat as I had ever seen him. It was only a few hours ago that we went to sleep, but Luca looked completely refreshed. 

"Why are you out of bed?" I grumbled, covering my face with the pillow. It had only been a few hours since we went to bed, and all I wanted to do was snuggle back under these covers with him and go back to sleep. 

"Come on, I have a surprise for you." He leaned down, giving me a quick kiss. "Get dressed and I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast." 

Luca headed out of the bedroom before I could even respond, and called over his shoulder. "Wear something you can move in. You're going to need it!"

Move in? A surprise? I wasn't nearly awake enough for this.  Luca was cute when he was excited though, and I decided to indulge him. 

Grabbing a pair of yoga pants and a tank top, I got dressed quickly and tied my hair back into a ponytail. I went to bed with it wet after our shower last night, and it was a mess of curls this morning. 

Luca was waiting at the bottom of the stairs with a goofy grin on his face. It was such a change from his usual brooding demeanor that it made me anxious. What in the world did he have up his sleeve?

"All set?" He asked, thrusting a banana and a cup at me. 

"What is this?" I asked, smelling the smoothie he had just given me.