Chapter 2: Open Your Eye

Once inside, you and Mordo lead the man down the hall until the three of you approached an ornate structure. Mordo stops then gestures towards the sanctuary and said. "The sanctuary of our teacher, The Ancient One." The man looks at him and asked. "The Ancient One? What's his real name?" Mordo stares at him in distaste and the man looks down and said. "Right, forget everything I think I know. Sorry."

Mordo gave you a look like it was your fault and leads the two of you into the sanctuary and you see Master Hamir, an old man with a long beard, reading a book. The man looks over at him and said. "Thank you for...huh!" as two women approach the man and removed his coat.

"Okay, that's, uh....a thing....thank you." He said as you see the Ancient One and another woman arrived with a tray of tea and the Ancient One begins to pour the man a cup of tea. "Thank you." The man said then he turns to Hamir and said. "Thank you, Ancient One....for...." But Hamir gets up on his feet and starts to walk away. "....seeing me..." The man finishes.

"You're welcome." The Ancient One responded.

Surprised, the man looks over at her and notices how she looked ageless, young and old at the same time. "The Ancient One." You said as you gesture towards her with a kind smile as the man looks back at you with interest. "Thank you, Master Mordo and Master (Y/N)." She said. You and Mordo nodded towards her and the both of you step back and lean against the wall.

"Mister Strange." said the Ancient One. Ah, so his name is Strange. You thought as Strange says. "Doctor, actually."

The Ancient One smiles and said. "Well, no. Not anymore, surely. Isn't that why you are here?" With effort, Strange raised the cup of tea to his lips and the Ancient One saw his bandages and the scars beneath. "You've undergone many procedures. Seven, right?" She asked him, who looks taken aback by this.

"Yeah...." He replied, nervously, as he continues to drink the tea.

The Ancient One walks around him and walks behind the table and picks up a cup of tea for herself and starts to make it. "Did you heal a man named Pangborn? A paralyzed man." Strange asked her. You remembered Pangborn, poor man broke his back in a factory accident and was told he could never walk again.

"In a way." The Ancient One responded.

"You helped him to walk again." said Strange.

"Yes." She replied as she picks up her cup and puts some honey in her cup and begins to stir. "How do you correct a complete C7-C8 spinal cord injury?" Strange asked her, intrigued.

"Oh, I didn't correct it. He couldn't walk; I convinced him that he could." She said, nonchalantly.

"You're not suggesting it was psychosomatic?" Strange asked.

"When you reattach a severed nerve, is it you who heals it back together or the body?" She asked him.

"It's the cells." replied Strange.

"And the cells are only programmed to put themselves together in very specific ways." She replied.

"That's right." He said.

"What if I told you that your own body could be convinced to put itself back together in all sorts of ways?" She asked him.

Strange's eyes widen at this and said. "You're talking about cellular regeneration. That's.....bleeding-edge medical tech. Is that why you're working here, without a governing medical board? I mean....just how experimental is your treatment?"

You chuckled, quietly, at this as The Ancient One, after giving you and Mordo a knowing look, said. "Quite."

"So you've figured out how to reprogram nerve cells to heal themselves?"