Chapter 3: Training

The next day, The Ancient One sent you to get Strange and bring him to her. You nod and did a short bow as you turn around and head towards Strange's room. Once you approach his door, you raise your hand and knock on it. "Come in." You hear his voice respond. You take the handle and push the door open and see that Strange wasn't wearing his shabby clothes from yesterday.

Instead, he now wore a gray uniform of tunic and pants---the sign of a novice. "The Ancient One would like to see you now, Mr Strange." You said.

"Please call me Stephen." He replied with a smirk.

You smile back at him and said. "Okay.....well follow me...Stephen." He nods as he follows you out of his room and towards the Ancient One's sanctuary.

Both of you walk up to the entrance way of the sanctuary and you see the Ancient One sitting on the floor. You move aside and gesture for Strange to sit down.

Lowering himself, Strange sat down across from her as you nod and start to leave until the Ancient One speaks. "(Y/N), stay." She said. You turn back around to face her and give her a puzzled look. "Are you sure?" You asked. She nods and you make your way back and sit next to her.

"The language of the mystic arts is as old as civilization. Sorcerers of antiquity called the use of this language 'spells'. But if that word offends your modern sensibilities, you can call it 'program'. The source code that shapes reality." She said as she looks over at you.

You nod and take a deep breath and preformed a series of gestures with your hands, slicing through the air. Strange couldn't help but be mesmerized by how your hands were moving with such grace and precision. The motions were so assured, so powerful and yet so utterly beautiful. "We harness energy drawn from other dimensions of the multiverse," The Ancient One said as you moved your hand once more, but this time your fingers left a luminous trail in the air itself and you begin writing runes with your hands.

Strange could feel power emanating from the rune as it hangs in front of him, illuminating his face. "To case spells, conjure shields and weapons to make magic." The Ancient One concluded as you thrust a palm forward and a gust of wind whipped through the sanctuary and the light from the runes was the only light source in the room for a few seconds until if disappeared.

Strange made a small smile at this but it drops once he looks down then back towards the Ancient One. "But...even if my fingers could do that, my hands would just be waving in the air. I mean, how do I get from here...." He said as he gestures to himself then he makes a gesture towards you and the Ancient One and finished. "...to there?"

"How did you get to reattach severed nerves, and put a human spine back together bone by bone?" You asked him.

"Study and practice. Years of it." He replied as he looks off to the side for a second then looks back at you two, nodding at him.

Weeks go by as Strange studies with dozen of other students, Mordo among them. He moved his hands and body as if performing an elaborate martial art. The other students moved their bodies in the same way, at the same time.

Their hands traced the familiar luminous runes into the air around them. You walked among the students, around them, between them, surveying their every move. Your voice cut through everything as you counted out the sequence of motions required to write the runes.

When he first went on the training grounds and saw you as the instructor, he thought that was odd. He figured Mordo would have been teaching the students. No, it didn't have anything to do with you being a woman, its just you looked a little young to be teaching. "How long has she been here?" Strange asked Mordo one day after training.