Chapter 4: New Love

"Mastery of the sling ring is essential to the mystic arts. They allow us to travel throughout the multiverse." Mordo said to the students, including Strange, as all of them had the rings and all of them were summoning a portal, well except for Strange who was having some difficulties. "All you need to do is focus. Visualize." You said as you and Mordo walk among the students, surveying their moves.

"See the destination in your mind. Look beyond ththe world in front of you. Imagine every detail." Mordo said.

You were walking up to Strange, who was still having trouble conjuring a portal, as you said. "The clearer the picture, the quicker and easier, the gateway will come." Strange stops moving his right hand in a circular motion as you and him make eye contact. You give him an encouraging smile when suddenly you hear Mordo say. "And stop."

Strange let's out a frustrated sigh as you look over and see The Ancient One and Master Hamir walking towards you and Mordo. "I'd like a moment alone with Mr Strange." She said.

You and Mordo nodded and you motioned for the students to disband. Strange gives you a pleading look and you walk over to him and pat him on the shoulders, sympathetically. You walk away as Strange looks down as the Ancient One approaches you. "My hands--" 

"It's not about your hands." The Ancient One interrupted. Strange looks at her, not believing what he was hearing. "How is this not about my hands?" He asked.

"Hamir." said The Ancient One, gesturing to the old man beside her.

In response, Hamir raised his arms, pulling them from his robes and Strange noticed that he only had one hand. The other arm, where a hand should be was a smooth stump, ending just above the wrist. Hamir stood for a moment, then waved his arms in the air, trailing luminous lighting in their wake. Strange couldn't believe it.

Even with a missing hand, Hamir was creating the runes. When he was finished, Hamir returned his arms in his robes and bowed to the Ancient One. "Thank you, Hamir." She said as he walks away. She turns to Strange and said. "It's not about your hands. You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current and use its power as your own."

"I control it by surrendering control." Strange summarized. "That doesn't make any sense."

"Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life, but it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise." She replied as she puts on her sling ring. "Come with me." She said and Strange followed her.

Next thing he realized he and The Ancient One were on top of a mountain. "Wait. Is this...?"
"Everest. It's beautiful." She said.

"Yeah, you're right. Beautiful. It's freezing, but.....beautiful." Strange said as he wraps his arms around him. "At this temperature, a person can last for thirteen minutes before suffering permanent loss of function." said The Ancient One as she looks around the beautiful snowy mountains. "Great." Strange replied, through chattering teeth. "But you will likely go into shock within the first two minutes." She said and she starts to walk off.

"What?" Strange asked.

He whips around and see her summoning another portal and she starts to walk through it. "Surrender, Stephen." She said as she walks through it. "No, no!!!! Don't!!" Strange yells as he chases after her but the portal closes before he could get to her.

He gets up on his feet as he lets out a frustrated sigh and puts his sling ring on and begins performing the gestures that would form the portal. But nothing happened. He tried to move faster but again nothing happened.

He lets out an annoyed yell as he stands there in the freezing wind of the mountain. Suddenly, he starts to think of you. He begins to smile when he sees your smile and hears your laugh. He starts to think of you back in Karmar-Taj and he raises his hands and begins to spin his hand around again.