04 | we never will be

Unedited
* * *

"Levi, I need to rest. Please go back to your room," Farlan strains.

I can already tell Farlan is ready to pass out because he's sluggish. His eyes droop sadly and are painted a shade of red from being kept up past his usually rest time. Unlike me, Farlan runs on over nine hours of sleep. If he doesn't get at least eight he won't be able to function the next day.

"I would, but that brat is still awake," I complain.

Farlan and I sit in the center of the room. His eyes droop from exhaustion, his head slammed into a pillow while I lay on my backside, staring at the ceiling. He continues to ramble about how much he needs his rest to which I groan, finally giving in.

"Thank you," he breathes a heavy sigh before I leave the room. Farlan falls onto his backside, relief escaping his lips in a light groan.

After shutting his door I take small steps, dreading each moment as my room approaches. All I can think of are the different ways he's going to make my life a living hell. Eren alone is a problem, but with his unethical behavior my university experience is already ruined before it even begins.

I stand before the door of hell, staring at the room's number that is painted a gold-like color. I take in a heaping amount of air, bracing myself for whatever Eren is doing behind that door. I barge in, the air that I inhaled before being released as over exaggerated coughs.

I expected him to be flailing over some girl, or even masturbating. Was the king of late night parties and 'unforgettable' all-nighters with his friends, asleep? This is assured, completely unbelievable.

Who am I to complain? He is out cold, I should be dancing on tables with joy. Oh, the countless things I could do to his sleeping body, yet I still resist.

I stroll over to his bedside, careful to not trip over his mess of suitcases and unkempt clothed that lay scattered across the floor. You'd think Eren could be more organized on his first night, but he remains lazy and just tosses his belongings everywhere as if he owned the place.

I stare long and hard, trying to find something wrong with the way he slept. There has to be a detail I can scope out, something embarrassing I could you later on. When we're were younger and I'd visit Eren's house for a sleepover, he would unconsciously shove a thumb into his mouth. I still remember to this day how embarrassed he was, truly amusing.

See, people like Eren just don't outgrow things like this. Eren still acts like a child, throwing tantrums as if he were three all over again. Not that I cared, why would I?

I lean over Eren's sleeping body for a few moments, convinced that I'd see him slip that thumb into his slobbering mouth. He doesn't which disappoints me in a way, but I let it go.

In one swift motion I leap across Eren's belongings and on my side of the room, almost landing on my face. I give myself a pat on the back for such great parkour skills, knowing that I almost failed miserably.

I wiggle under the covers and roll to my side, staring at the wall for a moment. It wasn't until fifteen minutes of Robin Williams' impersonations had completely distracted me from sleep. In all seriousness, did I really need to sleep? I could continue this all night. I could recite books I had read not long ago out loud, but no one would listen. I groan quietly and roll onto my back.

It's past one and I'm wide awake, nothing to do but stare at the ceiling and hope for some shut eye.

* * *

"Eren, stop hogging the damn bathroom!"

I've been waiting for what felt like hours before Eren finally strolls out of the bathroom, looking exactly the same as before he walked in. What the hell did he do for fifteen minutes?