18 | play for me

unedited
* * *

“I- I can’t do it,” Eren says in a pained tone.

“Eren, you can do this, you’ve been practicing non-stop for weeks.”

Eren doesn’t stop pacing, his heart beating violently against his chest. The perspiration that forms on his forehead is visible, even after the application of extra makeup. He is nervous, that much is obvious. He tried to keep his cool; but he fails.

“Levi, that’s a lot of people,” Eren says in a panicked voice.

“Look--” i place both hands on his shoulders and turn him around to fully face me “--don’t pay attention to them, everything is going to be fine. I believe in you, babe.”

Eren gulps painfully. He nods, his eyes refusing to part from mine. I feel bad for him, today was the biggest day of his life. It was going to be the first time in a long time that he performed in front of hundreds of people, one of them being his mother.

“Thank you,” he breathes. “I just can't believe it's actually happening– I've wanted this day to come for such a long time, I can't believe it's actually here.”

“I know, you wouldn't stop talking about it for months.”

“No, I've been waiting for years. Ever since in was younger, I've wanted a chance to prove to my mother that a pianist is what I was born to be.”

Eren looks down now, his eyes saddened. I trail my hands down his taut arms to his shaking hands. I collect his delicate hands into my own, intertwining our fingers. Mine laced over his and I give him a slight squeeze. His lips curl ever so slightly and my stomach flutters with those little butterflies that make me sick, yet I adored it so.

“Eren, look at me,” I order softly.

He doesn't hesitate to meet my eyes. I manage a small smile before taking a single hand and placing it over his delicate skin that was covered by stage makeup. He rests his forehead against mine, our eyes refusing to part once more.

If I could describe the feeling I get when gaze into his bright, teal colored orbs, the word would be magical. Magical, because it's as if he had put a spell upon me. A spell that refuses me to break away, and I don't mind that. I don't mind getting lost in the sea of his enchanted teal eyes, but I'm afraid to let myself swim too far out into it. If I ever let myself fall victim to Eren's love, I would never be able to pull away. I can never admit to love, not yet.

“Hey,” he says as we rest against each other.

“Hey,” I repeat. Now where have I seen this before?

“Thank you, again.”

“Hey, I'm your partner. I gotta stick around to make sure you don't screw up, right?” I say with a grin.

Eren couldn't help but let out a snort as his nerves began to feel at ease. “You're more than just my partner for this duet. You are my chèvre magique.”

“I'm your magical goat?”

“Is that what I said?” Eren flusters a dark shade of crimson and I let out a laugh.

“Yeah, you just called me your magical goat.”

“Well, I guess I have to study more,” Eren says before planting a kiss on my forehead.

You're on in next,” says the stage manager.

Eren tensed, pulling away from me to clench his chest. “Shit–”

“Eren, it's going to be okay just– don't play for them, okay?”

Eren took a step back, shaking his head. “B- but–”