Chapter 9

I've always had anger problems, I've taken a multitude of classes on my problem, but nothing seems to work. Imogene had always said that my anger problems were a side effect of me being created. She thinks that the ability to not control my emotions may be a way of my body compensating for the fact that physically, my existence is impossible. Love is an emotion that is unfamiliar to me, and the possibility of rejection has never occurred to me. How could anyone reject me? I was created in the male version of perfection! In romance novels, rejection is always explained, and Cody's rejection wasn't laid out clearly to me.

All of these thoughts are slamming into my brain as I run with Cody on my back. It takes all of my self-control to not throw Cody off of my back and beat the crap out of him. Cody is rigid on my back, I think he's trying to act like he's not there. His breathing is loud and clear in my artificial ears, but I can hear him trying to quiet it.

"Can you give me the GPS?" I ask, as calmly as I can manage. I feel the surprise register in his body, I've been running for hours in silence, with him on my back.

"Yeah." He responds softly.

I feel him wiggling around on my back trying to grab the GPS, he passes the device over my shoulder and becomes still again. I look at the tiny screen and realize my rage over the rejection has caused me to run faster then I've ever run before. I only have 6 more hours of hard running to reach the coast. I put the little GPS in my pocket, making sure to memorize the route once more. I narrow my eyes in concentration, I plan to reach the coast in less than 6 hours.

********************

I start to smell the unique ocean scent of salt and marine life about 6 miles from the coast.

"Do you smell it?" I ask.

"Smell what?" Cody asks, startled.

"The ocean." I say, I've only been to the beach a couple of times in my life.

Cody sniffs loudly into the air a couple times.

"Not yet, I love the smell though." He says thoughtfully.

"I want to live near the ocean, it's the most mysterious thing in the word, everything about it is amazing." I tell him.

He's silent for a few moments, then says, "Well, when your'e done with the whole, 'Saving the world thing,' you can, I doubt the boss will make you stay at the station forever. She cares about your well-being."

I doubted Cody's words. I wold never be able to retire, or start a family, the reason of my creation was to protect the bosses and all their secrets. The bosses may die, but their secrets and research never would.

Nearly 20 minutes later we both see the ocean. We reach the exact spot on the GPS at the rendezvous point and I let Cody off of my back. Cody looks around confused.

"So what are we supposed to do now?" He questions, more to himself then me.

"I suppose we wait," I answer, although I wonder why there's nothing there.

Cody sits down with a huff, then proceeds to lay down and stretch in the sand. I reach down and feel the warmth of the sand between my fingers, marveling of the feeling of each grain on my sensitive skin. The day is warm, but not overwhelmingly so, and the ocean looks bluer then what you'd see in brochures for beach resorts.

The GPS starts to beep frantically and I hurriedly pull it out of my pocket as a message trails across the screen.

Well done on reaching you're first point. You are to wait until 2300, to meet your boating instructor and receive your boat, keep up the good work and good luck!

I glance at my watch and see it's only 1600. I sigh, I hate waiting. I sit down beside Cody and go over our travel calculations in my head. We have been traveling for 3 days, I want to reach Mt. Dianom 1 day before I meet my...brother. That gives us 30 days to reach our destination. Provided everything goes according to plan, sailing across the ocean should take exactly 15 days, giving us about 15 more days of on foot travel. Although the on foot travel will be me most likely carrying Cody on my back.

I am jolted out of my thoughts by Cody waving his hand in front of my face.

"What?" I rudely exclaim.

Cody looks exasperated, "I've asked you like 5 times what the GPS said, and you've gone off into your own universe."

"Oh, umm, well be receiving our boat and instructions at 2300." I explain.

"But why not now?"

"I think that the plan calls for secrecy, and the cover of darkness is always a good thing." I answer.

Cody, laughs, but not with humor, "They think that a remote beach, with no human life around besides us for at least 20 miles, isn't secret enough? That's rich."

I roll my eyes at him, "Stay here, I'm going to survey the area."

I start to get up when Cody motions me down.

"Let me do it," he explains to me, "I haven't gotten to do anything on the mission yet."

I shrug, I guess he can, although I do set out a grid in my mind and check for anything out of the ordinary. My radar doesn't register anything out of the ordinary.

"Be careful," I warn, staring into his eyes.

He holds my gaze for a few moments, then looks away, "I will," he says with a half smile.

I follow his form as he jogs away. I assume he'll circle the radius of our area.

I turn back to stare at the endlessness of the ocean. I feel as though I could look at it forever. The breeze coming over the water caresses my face, and cools my fears of the mission. I take a deep breath and try to relax. I know there is a possibility of my death, coming fast in the form of a month, but the realization doesn't faze me. Looking into face of the ocean is magic, it takes away my emotions and feels them for me.

**I've decided to continue this story, one chapter at a time. Finishing the story may take weeks or months, but finishing it will be a goal for me.** -MissPurpleBoots

*Please comment, I enjoy your enthusiasm, and contructive critism. Thank you.*