PART 2

I was watching from our room's window the Eastern Doors of the Glade. Everybody was gathering there in order to see the Banishment. Every Keeper had a pole in their hands, waiting for the convicted to appear. Alby and Newt were in the front having a quiet talk, far from the eyes of others.

I heard a scream and then I saw Minho, the Keeper of the Runners, dragging Ben after him. He was a mess, all bloody and filthy, a red spotted bandage around his head where Newt hit him with a pole early this morning.

The sun was at sunset, so I figured Newt wouldn't see me if I sneak around for a bit. After all, Ben was my friend all these years.

"Alby, please!" Ben screamed. "It was a mistake, I know that now! I will not do it again, I promise!" He was crying by now and his eyes begged anybody to just listen to him.

And then his eyes met mine.

"Y/N! You tell them!" he said. "Wasn't I a good friend?" He was sputtering saliva while talking. "You believe me, right?", he was truly desperate.

I froze in place. I didn't know what to say, now that all eyes were on me. Worse, Newt saw me too; his eyes burning with anger, but he didn't say a thing. He knew he would have plenty of time after that to scold me.

I decided that I had enough. I mumbled a quiet "sorry" to Ben, then ran away towards the kitchen.

As soon as I entered the room, I closed the door and leaned against it. Newt was right, that was not a good thing for me to see, especially being all about Ben.

I approached a chair and sat, waiting for the Banishment to be over. There was no point on going back in the room now, Newt already saw me so I could just wait for him here as elsewhere.

After a few minutes, a tall brown-haired boy appeared through the door, all frightening and shaking. It took me a moment to realize it was the Greenie.

"Hi", I said. He winced. I think he saw me for the first time just then.

"H...hi", he responded. His voice was shaking too.

"Are you the new Greenie?" I was excited to finally meet him. He looked at me for a second then nodded.

"Yes", he said. "I'm Thomas."

"Well Thomas, it is very nice to meet you. I'm Y/N." I extended my hand for him to shake it, but he just stood there looking at me.

"It is very nice to meet you too, Y/N", he smiled sheepishly and finally took my hand. "I haven't seen you around, well not until today. Are you the only girl here?"

"I'm afraid so", I laughed.

A sudden creak of the door distracted us and we looked at the new arrival. Newt was standing in the threshold, arms folded. He gave us a questionable look, then closed the door and approached us.

"What are you doing here?" he pointed at me. "I remember I told you to stay in the room."

"And since when am I doing what am I told to?", I said smirking and sticking my tongue out at him. "Plus, I met the Greenie right here."

He looked irritated. I could easily see that he wasn't pleased with my answer.

"I thought we had a deal, Y/N."

"I know, I know", I said giving up. "It was horrible, is this what you want to hear? Because you were right." My eyes filled with tears, but I was too stubborn to cry in front of them. "But Newt, he was my friend!" I was screaming by now.

"And this is exactly why I didn't want you to see it!", he responded calmly.

I stayed quiet for a moment, then looked him in the eye. They were no longer filled with anger, but worry. I opened my mouth to say something, but then I closed it. There was nothing left to say in these moments. Ben was gone, and now another Runner must be chosen from the Gladers to fill his place. I bit my lower lip and took a deep breath.

"I need to be alone for a moment", I finally said. I peeked at Newt to see his reaction, to make him understand that I was serious and that I didn't want him to follow me. He just nodded.

Thomas didn't say a word the whole time. With that, I stormed out from the kitchen and into the Deadheads.

________________________________________________________________________________

So I am a bit confused about something:

  Every Keeper had a pole in their hands  / Every Keeper had a pole in his hands

Which one is correct? I can't quite make the difference, so please help me with this sentence :*