PART 14

I saw Newt rolling his eyes in amusement at my statement. He picked up his spoon and shoveled in another spoonful of food, listening to me, however, his gaze turned toward Minho with a raised brow and a smirk.

Minho glanced between him and I before he caught on to what Newt was thinking.

''No. No, it ain't happenin', Newt.''

''Oh, c'mon. She can handle herself.'' He grinned.

''Nuh-uh. Nope.'' Minho refused, turning his eyes down to his food and began to eat to avoid his friends' gaze.

''Minho...''

''I said no! That's a death wish, slinthead, what's wrong with you?'' Minho snapped, glaring at Newt.

''Hey, less of the slinthead, shuckface.'' He spat back playfully before he looked toward me again.

''Alright. See that building over there?'' He asked, pointing toward the homestead with his spoon. ''How tall you reckon that is?'' He asked, refraining from explaining himself further.

I listened carefully at the conversation between Minho and Newt, frowning from time to time while eating my dinner. Chuck was quiet now, just giving us worried looks.

I followed Newt's gaze when he pointed towards a building, 3 floors tall. I raised an eyebrow in confusion at his request, but then shrugged and focused at it. I measured the building carefully, I peeked at the rest of the Gladers inside the Kitchen then slowly started to talk.

"From what I see here, the tallest Glader would not be more than 5'90 so that means the Building should have a minimum of 17'72 height. Let's say 20' if you count the ceilings and the top." I smiled and looked back at Newt, waiting for his answer. "Am I right?", I asked him.

I finished my dinner and folded my arms. "That's all you got?"

Newt quirked a brow and looked to Minho, who was smirking to himself. Newt cleared his throat to catch his attention.

''Sorry, shank. Tallest kid here is Gally. He's 6'1.'' Minho shrugged and Newt rolled his eyes at the technicality.

''But you're right about the rest.'' Newt added, nodding toward me before he turned back to Minho. ''This time, I'm not asking.'' He told his friend, climbing from his seat and gently tapping my shoulder. ''Come take a walk with me, Greenie.'' He stated, adjusting the machete on his back before he began walking toward the wall.

I smiled when Newt approved my answer. But Minho didn't seem to budge on his decision, whatever that might have been.

But when Newt told me to follow him and I saw the boy heading towards the big walls, my heart started to beat faster. I already anticipated what the blonde was about so show me, but I managed to keep a composed look on my face.

The sun was already at sunset and I started to feel a bit tired after all the working I've done, but however I kept the pace along with Newt.

"Ah finally...", I murmured, smirking to myself. "And I had to do such a little thing to catch your attention." I said that final statement a bit louder for Newt to hear it.

We crossed the Glade from the Kitchens and finally stopped in front of the big walls.

''Don't get yaself worked up, shank. You ain't going anywhere. I meant it when I said no one goes beyond those walls.'' He said, crossing his arms over his chest as we stopped by the doors.

He pointed down the corridor.

''See the other end? Takes 3 minutes to run down there. On a good day. Now, supposing each corridor is the same length. Give or take a couple seconds. How long would it take you to run one section that consists of around... Let's say 27 of those corridors. Each way. That's what... 54?'' He asked, looking down at me with a raised brow.

I raised an eyebrow at his question, paying attention and trying to imagine the huge corridors in my mind. Every wall, every corner and every necessary step in order to run in every direction and also to come back.

"If you spend 3 minutes for every corridor, that would be 162 minutes", I said. "Almost 3 hours. But nobody could run 3 hours without a break."

I stopped, waiting for Newt's reaction at my statement; but then decided to continue with my own thoughts.

"Let's say 1 hour break at the end of the farthest corridor. So I would say 4 hours at its best."

I turned around to face Newt, arms folded and thoughtful gaze.

"Newt?", I asked, "You told me no one goes beyond those walls, yet I saw Minho and the other boy coming back from out there just a couple of hours ago. Why are they allowed to leave, but not the others?"

I think he hadn't quite realized just how much he'd said until I questioned him. He outwardly grimaced and lifted a hand toward his forehead, rubbing his palm across it with a sigh.

''Look, it's not that simple; they're runners. They go out every morning, run the maze, mapping it. Trying to find a way out of this shuck place but if they're not back before those doors close...'' He paused, deciding not to continue.

''I wanna ask you a question now.'' He stated, turning his body toward me with his arms folded across his chest. ''How the bloody hell do you know this stuff?'' He asked with a slight bite in his tone. He purposely gave me not time to protest, but he waited patiently for an answer.

I raised my eyes towards Newt, who was patiently waiting for an answer at his question. And yet again, I was wondering if I could trust him enough to share with him what was in my mind.

"It's...complicated", I frowned, moving my gaze to the ground. "Everything in my mind is a blank space, except these numbers and now some odd paterns that suddenly popped up from nowhere when you mentioned the maze." I took a deep breath, wanting to continue but not knowing how though.

"Newt, there's something I need to tell you." I started; it was now or never, I didn't think I could gain my courage once again to confess.

I looked him in the eye, making sure he was still looking back at me. But my words were interrupted by Chuck, who was running towards us, a red color in his chubby cheeks.

"Newt! Have you found a good spot for the Greenie to sleep tonight?"