PART 4

I grabbed an apple from Frypan's kitchen and headed to the Maze Doors. Minho was already there, waiting for me.

"Hurry up Shank, we are already late!", he laughed. He gave me my backpack and patiently waited for me to finish my apple. "What took you so long? Slept in again?", he asked.

"No", I responded. "I had...a situation". I didn't want to tell more and fortunately he understood. That early discussion with Newt still bothered me, but for now I had to focus on my daily routine of running. When we approached the first crossroad of the Maze, Minho patted me on the back and wished me good luck before headed to his Section.

I ran my Section, paying attention to any corner in order to avoid any Griever that might appear. But everything was silent and still. No Grievers, no changes.

It was already past noon when I stopped to eat my lunch. Involuntary, my mind wandered back to Newt and our discussion. I realized that all we've done lately was yelling at each other. I knew he loved his job, but I loved mine too. Well, I guess "loved" is not the most proper word to talk about the Glade's jobs, but I felt that running suited me the best.

I checked my watch to see that I had another 3 hours until the Doors will close. I packed my lunch remains and got up, heading back to the Glade at a steady pace. I stopped after I crossed the threshold and took a deep breath. Slowly, I started to walk towards the Map Room. Minho was already there, mapping his Section. He raised his head when he heard the door open and smiled.

"Good to see you back, Y/N", he greeted me. "Started to think a shuck Griever got you out there, but I guess you're just late at everything today."

I rolled my eyes at his statement and started to laugh.

"Don't worry, you won't get rid of me that easily", I said.

"No offense, I would be sorry for you, but I would be much worried about my own arse", he joked again. "Newt would kick my ass if something bad happens to you in the Maze."

"About that...have you seen Newt?", I asked. "Usually he greets me when I'm back from the Maze, but today I didn't saw him around." Maybe he was still upset about our argument.

Minho thought for a second, then shrugged.

"No, I don't think I saw him today", he finally answered. He finished his map and went towards the door. "Well, see you Shank later" he waved a goodbye and left.

I went to the box and grabbed some paper to draw my map. After all this time, I knew it by heart. Nothing has ever changed during these years. After 15 minutes I finished, closed the box and headed for the showers.

Again, no signs of Newt everywhere. I started to get worried, thinking that maybe I was too harsh on him this morning. I made a note to myself to talk to him later.

I went into the improvised bathroom and started to undress, tossing my sweaty clothes into a corner. I was only in my bra and underwear when suddenly someone showed up from after one of the stone walls that separates four shower pipes. And he was...shirtless.

"Newt!" I winced. "You scared me, Shank!" I was laughing now, but in the same time trying to regain my breath. "I..didn't hear you."

"I had some free minutes, so I went for a shower", he said. "A lot of bloody work in the gardens today". He smiled then, slowly coming closer towards me. "I'm sorry for scarring you." He was laughing too now. "So I can frighten you, but not a Griever?"

My smile dropped.

"Newt...", I started. "About that..."

"No, wait!", he cut me off. "I should have not said all of these things earlier. I apologize." He was serious again, but I could see the sadness in his eyes. "It's just that...when it comes to you I go all crazy, you know? I just want you to be safe, so knowing that you have to go out there everyday and risk to be killed by a shuck Griever..."

I put two fingers on his lips to make him stop talking.

"I'm sorry too...for what I said this morning."

He nodded, but his eyes were sad. He moved his gaze to the floor, kept staring at it while talking through my fingers "You were right, though", he said. "I never thought...I never wanted to...", but I didn't let him finish.

I replaced my fingers with my lips, kissing him hard. He was taken aback at first, furrowing his eyebrows. But then he gave in and kissed me back. His hands were on my waist now, pulling me closer. I clutched my fingers into his hair, pulling at his blonde locks. Our kiss was needy and desperate, being such a long time since we haven't had time for us and our relationship.

"Oi, Newt!" we suddenly heard Frypan from outside.

"Just ignore him", Newt said, kissing now the crook of my neck, then the next second sucking on my sweet spot. I let out a low moan from the pleasurable feeling.

"Newt, do you hear me?" Frypan again. "I know you're there man, we need to discuss tomorrow's menus for the Runners!" He was knocking on the door now, waiting for an answer.

Newt growled. "I'll be out in a minute, Shank! And stop banging on the bloody door, I heard you!", he shouted.

I burst into a quiet laugh and pulled back from him. "Duty calls", I teased.

He was still holding me in his arms, eyes locked. "I love you", I said.

Newt smiled and gave me a quick peck on the lips "I love you too".